Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterderrington
Creator II
Creator II

Count first sorted value based on additional selection

Hi, 

I'm having some difficulties getting the syntax right for something i'm trying to calculate.

One of my graphs displays the first instance that something occurs within a particular location - i currently choose that location as a filter.

However i am now in the position whereby i need to both add another filter and count the instances but i don't want to have to do that by selecting the filter but rather build it in to the original expression.

My original expression is:

//Time(FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT [Sent for Time],ID,1))

But i now need it to count the same first sorted value but only if the field '[Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)]' is equal to '1' and if it started before 09:01:00

Can anyone help.

The closest I've got is:

Count(FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT{<[Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)]={'1'}>}[Sent for Time]<='00:09:00',ID,1))

but the expression is clearly wrong.

16 Replies
peterderrington
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Fabulous, Thank you, just need to have a play about to see if i can manage to create a graph (ideally a sort of Run Chart) to display that yes/no response over time

peterderrington
Creator II
Creator II
Author

think i'll have to start a new thread really but.....

I can only display anything in a Straight chart for this yes/no data, there isn't a dimension that is relevant i.e. yes/no to allow it to display anything in a pie chart or similar, any quick suggestions before i start a new thread?

jaibau1993
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Peter! sorry for the delay, last friday was holiday here in Spain 🙂

I am not sure about what kind of visualization you'd want to build. You can create really complex 'calculated dimensions' for your charts but, maybe I am wrong, I think you are looking for something like this:

Example.png

Summarizing: yes, i think you can do what you need but we'll need more details.

Regards,

Jaime.

peterderrington
Creator II
Creator II
Author

The image on the left is one of the types of image I'm trying to create but I just cant think how to do it - I'm blaming this cold! 🐵

jaibau1993
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Peter!

To build that chart you need to create a peculiar expression. As you may have noticed, the expression contains two calculations:

1. A label: yes or no (given some conditions)
  2. A number: what specifies the heigh for each month

This can be done using "Dual" function. It takes two arguments: a text and a number. Thus, your expression should look like

Dual(
     //Yes/No label:
     if(Count({<[Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)]={'1'}, [Sent for Time] = {">9:00"}>} [Sent for Time]), 'Yes', 'No')
     //The numeric value (I'm guessing it)
     Count({<[Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)]={'1'}, [Sent for Time] = {">9:00"}>} [Sent for Time])
)

Do not forget to check the "Values on Data Points" checkbox in the expression tab!

Regards,

Jaime.

peterderrington
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Jamie, 

Thank you for all your time, I'm struggling to get it to show anything like your diagram. 

I've set it as a Pie Chart but there's no dimension (I know sometimes with Pie Charts I've not needed a dimension before but I'm not sure if that fits with this).

I've slightly altered the script (just because we had the less than/greater than symbol the wrong way round however the chart just shows:

count.jpeg

I tried changing it to a straight chart just so I could see what count it was showing but it just shows "Yes"

The current expression is: 

Dual(if( Count({<[Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)]={'1'}, [Sent for Time] = {"<9:00"}>} [Sent for Time]), 'Yes', 'No'),( Count({<[Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)]={'1'}, [Sent for Time] = {"<9:00"}>} [Sent for Time])))

I know that individually the expressions work, feeling lost - sorry.

jaibau1993
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Peter!

Just forget what I said, I misunderstood you again!

You need to create a 'calculated' dimension from the 'simple' dimension [Sent for Time]. For each value of [Sent for Time] :

• if [Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)] = 1 and >9:00 then you have to label it as 'Yes'
  • if [Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)] = 1 and <=9:00 then you have to label it as 'No'
  • if [Session(1=AM 2=PM 3=Eve)] <> 1 you want to discard it (is this right?)

You can do it using AGGR in a calculated dimension. Just check the attached file and ispect how I built the figures below!

example.png

Let me know any doubt!

Regards,

Jaime.