Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
senarath
Creator III
Creator III

Count overlapping days between two date ranges (Intersections)

Hi,

This is with further reference to below thread;

Insert rows between two date ranges

I want to get the count of days which overlap between below two date ranges. (Inclusive of first and last dates)

Eg. Select vStart_Date   -    Select vEnd_Date  (01-Jan-14 to 04-Jan-14)

Actual Check In Date  - Actual Check Out Date (02-Jan-14 to 06-Jan-14)

I want to get the overlapping count as 03 days ( 02-Jan-14 to 04-Jan-14 inclusive of both days)

Thank You,

Senarath

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcoWedel

RangeMax(0, RangeMin(vEnd_Date,[Actual Check Out Date]) - RangeMax(vStart_Date,[Actual Check In Date]))

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable

if(e1>e2,e2,e1)-if(s1>s2,s1,s2)+1

is that OK? Assuming s1 = Select vStart_Date, e1 = Select vEnd_Date, s2 = Actual Check In Date, e2 = Actual Check Out Date...

And you should check it for positive results, of course (negative will mean lack of intersection).

MarcoWedel

RangeMax(0, RangeMin(vEnd_Date,[Actual Check Out Date]) - RangeMax(vStart_Date,[Actual Check In Date]))

senarath
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Alex,

I tried this and did not work because the date selection can be varied according to user. We cannot predefined which date going to be less than what.

Let me try out other answers and give a feedback.

Thanx

Not applicable

How are you going to acquire the dates from user? Control elements that change some variables?

senarath
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Marco,

I applied your answer and it works. However, as I wanted both days inclusive, I modified it as below by adding 1

and figures seem ok.

RangeMax(0, RangeMin(vEnd_Date+1,[Actual Check Out Date]+1) - RangeMax(vStart_Date,[Actual Check In Date]))

Hope, technically this is ok.

Many thanks