Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Create filter between unlinked tables

Hey all,

With the following table structure, two tables, each with only one field, values ABCD in List1, EFGH in List2.  Is it possible to create an expression based filter so that if A is selected in Table1 only E is available in Table2?  I have two complicated datasets that will create issues if linked, but I want to make the second table filtered based on the first table.

Is it possible?

Table1
List1
A
B
C
D
Table2
List2

E

F
G
H
3 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I am not sure what you mean by 'only D is available'.Is D a field or a field value? Do you want to hide values in Table2 or fields from Table2. If D is a field name, then the two tables are associated by the key field D, so they are linked.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Sorry, re-read my post and realise it didn't make sense. Should be right now.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I assume you mean to filter a list box in the front end? Without associations, you cannot rely on the data-driven behaviour of QV - you will effectively be hard coding the associations in the expressions. Are you sure this is what you need?

In the list box, use an expression like:

=If(List1 = 'A', 'D', LIst2)

or

=Aggr(If(List1 = 'A', 'D', LIst2), List2)

This not something I would recommend, and if your data model is large, you could kill your server as this will require a cross-join (aka Cartesian product).

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein