Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Data points with same dimension value shown once in Scatter chart

Hello Folks,

I have a scatter chart with X and Y axes. I am displaying user name in data points on chart.

Our business users want us to display initials only. If I have two names with the same initials I see just one data point and one is eliminated randomly.

E.g If I have two users called James Huds and Jacqueline Hill and I display JH on teh datapoint, I just see one data point.

Not sure on what basis one data point is eliminated from the chart.

Used Dimensions

=left(subfield(full_name,' ',1),1) &''&left(subfield(full_name,' ',2),1)

Please assist !!

Thanks

DV

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'd suggest to use a Dual function to add a numeric "key" value in addition to the alphanumeric initials. For the numeric part, you could use the numeric ID, if you have one, or simply an autonumber(full_Name). This way, even if the initials are duplicate, you will see two separate dots.

On the other hand, you won't be able to tell the two apart. So, perhaps you could enhance your formula into something like this:

IF Count(distinct left(subfield(full_name,' ',1),1) &''&left(subfield(full_name,' ',2),1) ) = 1,

left(subfield(full_name,' ',1),1) &''&left(subfield(full_name,' ',2),1),

left(subfield(full_name,' ',1),2) &''&left(subfield(full_name,' ',2),2)

)

If single-letter initials render a unique combination, use that, otherwise use 2 letters from each name.

best,

Oleg Troyansky

QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'd suggest to use a Dual function to add a numeric "key" value in addition to the alphanumeric initials. For the numeric part, you could use the numeric ID, if you have one, or simply an autonumber(full_Name). This way, even if the initials are duplicate, you will see two separate dots.

On the other hand, you won't be able to tell the two apart. So, perhaps you could enhance your formula into something like this:

IF Count(distinct left(subfield(full_name,' ',1),1) &''&left(subfield(full_name,' ',2),1) ) = 1,

left(subfield(full_name,' ',1),1) &''&left(subfield(full_name,' ',2),1),

left(subfield(full_name,' ',1),2) &''&left(subfield(full_name,' ',2),2)

)

If single-letter initials render a unique combination, use that, otherwise use 2 letters from each name.

best,

Oleg Troyansky

QlikView Your Business: An expert guide to Business Discovery with QlikView and Qlik Sense

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Oleg. Dual function worked.