Skip to main content
Announcements
YOUR OPINION MATTERS! Please take the Qlik Experience survey you received via email. Survey ends June 14.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Date Conversion strange behaviour

Hi,

I'm using the script below to convert the dates in the attached excel sheet.

LOAD Name,

date(alt(date#([date] , 'YYYY/MM/DD' ),date#([date], 'MM/DD/YYYY' ),date#( [date] , 'MM/DD/YY' ),date#([date], 'DD/MM/YYYY' ),

date#([date], 'MM/DD/YYYY'),date#([date], 'M-DD-YY' ),Date#([date], 'DD/MM/YY'),

date#([date], 'MM-DD-YY' ), num#([date], 'M-DD-YY' ),0))  as date

FROM

test.xlsx

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

Please note that although the format 'YYYY/MM/DD'  is not present in the excel sheet but still i'm using it as this format used to be there in an earleir version of the file & could be there in future also.

The problem is the conversion is correct for every name exect for name: I for which I get :

13/02/2028
13/04/2030
12/06/2030
13/01/2031
13/03/2031

My set/default date format in the file is DD/MM/YYYY.

When i remove date#([date] , 'YYYY/MM/DD' ) from the alt then it works fine.

Why is this happening ??

Regards

25 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

Thanks for having a look at this.

I understand what you said but I've a question:

Suppose the file also has some dates formatted as :12/06/30 (YY/MM/DD i.e. 30 June 2012)

then if we use : "DD/MM/YYYY" earflier, this date will be formatted as 12/06/30 (12 June 2030).

So,how to deal with this ?

Thanks again

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Well, how can you as a human being tell which format to apply when parsing in?

Is there any other information in the record that gives you a hint?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Stefan,

I just look at the different formats in the file and apply the alt function without considering the order of the formats.

I think your answer suggests that it can't be solved simply by using QV logic/functions and some human intervention has to be used.

What i can do here is ask the people who fills the date to use one of the format and not both.

Am i correct ?

Regards

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Given your two formats in your example, 12/06/30 is a valid value in both date formats. So there is an ambiguity if you want to get the 'true' date.

It's always a good thing if your input data is in a well defined format, so if you can get your users to use one format, that would be much better than guessing around when reading in, right?

If possible, use a four digit year format. QV will use some AI to determine the full four digit year (e.g. determine 2013 from 13). I believe it will interprete 63 - 99 as being in 20th century, and 0 to 62 in 21st century (range is +-50 years from today).

Maybe this is according to what your users expect, maybe not.

And finally, there is an ISO standard for dates, which avoids the DD/MM/YY(YY) resp. MM/DD/YY(YY) etc. ambiguity altogether: 'YYYY-MM-DD'

Not applicable
Author

Hello Stefan,

As always your answer is an authority for me to ask the users to fill in a single date format.

Should I finally ask for the ISO standard: YYYY-MM-DD ?

then in the QV application I can simply use:  date(alt(date#(DateField,'YYYY-MM-DD'),0)

0 for date when the field is blank.

Is this setup ok ?

Regards

Not applicable
Author

Hey,

This kind of issues occur whn working on Excel sources, u have gt lots of expert advices,

I have my HR analysis partially dependent on excel files, my personal experience says put the blame on the users and demand them to follow one file / column format, tht is the only option u have with u

or else u work on it andf stable the files once received atleast for date column issue.

Rest good luck.