Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shearwatertroy
Contributor III
Contributor III

Date Sorting issue

I have this rather odd issue.

I have a bar chart where I'm sorting by total sales and customer. I have an additional metric where I'm comparing month to month. But the order in which everything shows up is odd.

yearmonth issue.PNG

Can anyone help me sort these dates?

Thanks,

Troy

8 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Could you be a bit more specific how you do the sorting and how your dimensions and expressions look like?

If possible, please post a small sample QVW.

shearwatertroy
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I'm using Qlik Sense 2.0.1

I have sales data for customers. Some of them will buy product every few months, others will buy product monthly.

My dimensions are: Customer Name, YearMonth

year month returns the dates at MMM-YYYY

My Measure is: Sum(Sales)

I cannot supply the data as it is confidential.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I think I'm missing something. If you're sorting by total sales and customer, wouldn't we expect the months to show up out of order? I would only expect the months to be in order if you were sorting by month?

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Please note that you have missed a bunch of service packs.

Consider patching to 2.0.9 (or wait a few days and go up to 3.0.x).

May you live in interesting times!
shearwatertroy
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

The people viewing this report are being driven crazy by the ordering of the months/years. But they want to see the data.

maksim_senin
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Troy,

Sometimes people don't understand the nature of data and don't want even to try understanding this since they have some stereotypes "as it should be".

QV not only helps to see what you have but also (and frequently) it helps to understand what you have.

Maybe this is your/them issue.

Best regards,

Maxim

swuehl
MVP
MVP

From what you have posted so far I am a bit unsure what the exact issue is.

Is it that your clients want the bars sorted in one way (by sales), but the legend in another (chronological)?

shearwatertroy
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

They would like to see the chronological order. But now that I'm viewing the raw data, I can understand what Maxim is saying.

It is sorting the data by the month/year of highest sales, which makes complete sense. Although from a presentation perspective it seems disorganized and without a proper explanation to those viewing the sheet they would be confused.