cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Days difference between column of dates

Hi

I have a column of dates in the yyyy-mm-dd format.  What I would like to achieve is to add a column (either an expression or a calculated dimension) that calculates the difference in number of days between a date and the previous date, e.g:

DateDifference_in_days
2013-03-20-
2013-03-155
2013-03-141
2013-03-104
2013-03-019

Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Thanks

Matt

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Are you using more than one dimension? Take care of the so called column segments. You may need to use the TOTAL qualifier with the above() function.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can use the above function in tables and charts: above(Date) - Date. Make sure the dates are real dates and not strings. Use the date# function if necessary: date#(Date, 'YYYY-MM-DD')

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gysbert.  In SQL my column Date is set as type date so do I still need to set the date# function within Qlikview?

Currently, above(Date)-Date is returning "// Error in calculated dimension".

Gysbert_Wassenaar

You can't use it as a calculated dimension, only as an expression. Use Date as your dimension and above(Date)-Date as expression. If it's a date type in SQL then you shouldn't need the date# function.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks again.  I've added it as an expression but just see hyphens in the expression output.  I'll try using the date# function to see if it makes a difference.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

In my Script I have:  SET DateFormat='YYYY-MM-DD';

and in my table the date is right aligned so it appears Qlikview is recognising it as a date.  As a test I added an expression =Date and then converted it to a number format and this looks correct also.

So, I'm confident the dates are recognised by Qlikview and I do not need to use the date# function but the expression results are still showing as null values.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Are you using more than one dimension? Take care of the so called column segments. You may need to use the TOTAL qualifier with the above() function.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the suggestion.  Above (Total Date) - Date seems to have done the trick.