Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Differences?

Hi Folks,

Can any one give the difference between

Time,

Time#

Timestamp

Timestamp#

with exapmles  .  i have seen help file and community examples and also

but still i have confusion.  

can anyone give simple examples with explination   ?

Thanks in advance

7 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Its simple.

Time function converts the number parameter into Time, It also allows you to define the format

Time# function converts the Text parameter into Time.

Similarly

Timestamp function converts the number parameter into Time, It also allows you to define the format

Timestamp# function converts the Text parameter into Time.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
maxgro
MVP
MVP

page 3 of this doc

QlikView Date fields

explains the difference between interpretation functions (#) and formatting functions (without #)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Inthis case both Time and Timestamp will give same result  then why do we have 2 functions ?

can u give me with one sample data  if posssibel

Siva_Sankar
Master II
Master II

Interpretation function, Date#() and Timestamp#() are string to number conversions. That is  input is a string that contains a date and the function

creates a correct date serial number. The outpit is a dual field, i.e both sting and number.

Formatting functions Date() and Timestamp() are just opposite to the above explnations. they are number to string conversion. That is the input is  date serial number and the function creates a string with properly formatted date

the output here is a dual field,i.e both string and number

Timestamp#('20110512 08:22','YYYYMMDD hh:mm') As Timestamp or

Timestamp#('05-12-2011 08.22:32','MM-DD-YYYY hh.mm.ss') As Timestamp

And Timestamp() means the default format you wish to be shown in your application

Timestamp('12-05-2011 08:22','DD.MM.YYYY hh:mm') As Timestamp

often you need to combine both functions

Timestamp(Timestamp#('20110512 08:22','YYYYMMDD hh:mm'),'DD.MM.YYYY hh:mm') As Timestamp

Regards.

Siva

maxgro
MVP
MVP

this is from Qlik help

The timestamp# function evaluates the expression as a date and time according to the string given as format-code.

The time# function evaluates the expression as time according to the string given as format-code

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi,

why not check out ' Date and Time Functions'  in the QV help?

HTH

Andy

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

You are true that both will give same result, but the input parameter which they take is different.

One converts Number into Time and Other converts Text into Time.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!