Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fauguste17
Contributor
Contributor

Dimension Columns placement Change

Hi Everyone,

I have the following issue that I can't seem to figure out. I have this complex straight table table with groups and calculated dimensions and a lot of calculated expressions. Every single dimension and expression are shown/enabled using a condition. At any moment the table could have up to 8 calculated dimensions and 32 expressions.

When I select my dimensions, they usually show up before the expressions, which is expected. I have now discovered that if  I manually drag my expression columns to change their position in the table and then select my dimensions, the dimensions will go to the end of the table (after the expressions). But if I select my dimensions first and then drag and move the columns around around, the dimensions remain in the expected positions (before the expressions). I obviously know what to do to avoid the dimensions going to the end of the table, but I can't explain the root cause of the behavior.

Anyone has any ideas on what may be causing this? I know it would be easier to provide a sample file, but I can't do that at the moment.

Labels (1)
2 Replies
JudyWilliams
Contributor
Contributor

Hello i have seen your question

1. Expression Dependencies: In QlikView or Qlik Sense, expressions can sometimes have dependencies on dimensions, and the order in which they are evaluated might be affecting the final positioning of columns. If certain expressions rely on specific dimensions being evaluated first, it could lead to unexpected behavior when you change the order of dimensions or expressions.

2. Column Rendering Logic: The rendering and layout of columns in QlikView or Qlik Sense tables can be influenced by the way the columns are initially loaded or the order in which they are manipulated. The software might optimize the rendering process based on the original column order, which could lead to differences when you rearrange columns manually.

3. UI Rendering Quirks: QlikView and Qlik Sense have complex user interface rendering engines. Sometimes, the way you interact with the UI, such as selecting dimensions before or after rearranging columns, might trigger different rendering processes that affect the column positions.

Thanks and regards

JudyWilliams

marcus_sommer

I think it's caused from the fact that there is no strict sequential processing during an object-refresh else they are executed in several parallel threads divided by multiple engines. Quite important in this regard is also the caching-approach of Qlik respectively the re-usage of already existing calculation-results.

Therefore I could imagine that in your described scenario the dimension-calculation is cached and not directly touched and simply added as the last column by the re-ordering of the columns when the other evaluations have finished.