Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantage to using a QVD structure?

Hello,

I am trying to increase the efficiency of our QlikView application. One way I am looking to do this is by investigating a more efficient way to store/load the data into QlikView. We are using QlikView server which points to one main QVW dashboard. It gets refreshed every four hours at the moment; however, as we add in more teams and add data, our refresh time is getting significantly slower (over 2hrs).

I am experimenting with a QVW -> QVD -> QVW structure; however, I am seeing a few disadvantages and wondering if it's even worth pursuing given the way we utilize QlikView in our environment.

Disadvantages:

1. Increased Maintenance: we will have to maintain two QVW files instead of one
  2. In development, we will still have to reload the QVD generator whenever we want to alter the data model
  3. Scheduling the reload during the day will become a two step process
    1. Reload QVD Generator.qvw
    2. Reload Main Dashboard.qvw
      1. We would want this to only reload if step 1 was successful - is there a way to configure/do this?

Advantages:

1. When reloading the Main Dashboard.qvw, it will be significantly faster in development--assuming that no changes were required to the data model. Less common?

Thank you,

Albert

1 Reply
maxgro
MVP
MVP

1. We would want this to only reload if step 1 was successful - is there a way to configure/do this?

you have the server, you can run a task only after the succesful execution of a previous task

Other advantages

- you can have a qvd layer (like a database, 1 qvd file=1 table) and use it in many .qvw

- you can do incremental load

But if you only have 1 .qvw and the load window isn't a problem, you can stay with one .qvw for extraction, transform, presentation