Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miriam
Contributor
Contributor

Document Chaining - two apps for different years

Hello everyone,

in order to get a better performance, I want to use Document Chaining. So instead of one QlikView file containing data for years 2018, 2019, 2020, I created two files: one with years 2019, 2020 and one with years 2018,2019. The user should still see it as one App. 

I created a small QlikView App to show my problem.
In App TestDocumentChaining20.qvw the User can select 2020 and gets the comparison of 2020 and 2019. 
In App TestDocumentChaining19.qvw the User can select 2019 and gets the comparison of 2019 and 2018. 

I created a transparent text box in each App to switch between apps, when the user wants to change the year. I think the logic gets clear, if you look into the Apps.

When jumping from App20 to App19 it is working fine. The year is set to 2019 and the App19 is opened. No problem. But when jumping from App19 to App20, the year should be set to 2020 before jumping into App20. But because App19 does not know the year 2020, it is not working.

I hope you can follow my explanation. Is there any solution for this problem? Isn't it a main topic to use Document Chaining for?
How can I make sure, that in App19 the selected year is always 2019 and in App20 it is 2020?

Kind regards,
Miriam

Labels (1)
9 Replies
marcus_sommer

Before you are going further with your approach of splitting the data into several equally applications - regardless if with or without a document chaining - I suggest to check if there are possibilities to optimize the datamodel and the UI (for example using a star-scheme and avoiding if-loops, aggr() and interrecord-functions). Quite often there is a lot of potential to optimize the performance and it means to work on the cause and not on the effects.

- Marcus

miriam
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi Marcus,
thanks for your reply. Of course we did search for other possible performance optimizations before.
We already had consultants of Qlik here to work on performance topics. But now we are so far, that we want to try Document Chaining.
I hope somebody had this problem before us and found a solution.

Miriam

Dolphin
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi,

is it possible to just concatenate the year manually in the script?
If so you can just have all the years as a value in your dimension table and filter on them.

Date:

Concatenate
LOAD * INLINE [
 DATE.YEAR
 ];

It would not show any data for 2020, since there are no facts linked to it.
I think you can also put the action to open the other app on selecting this value if you don't want the user to see no data.

martinpohl
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi,

I'm also with Marcus that you load all your datas into one app instead of many apps with only two years of data.

Maybe I can help to create a hopeful data model.

Regards

miriam
Contributor
Contributor
Author

@Dolphin 

Thanks a lot for your reply! In fact, we tried exactly the same code snippet. It was not helpful, because our permission logic does clear the year, because there are no facts on it. In the next step wie loaded a dummy data record with sales 0 into the model. But it did also not help. It would kill all user selections in other fields, because our fake-record cannot have a connection to every dimension value.

@martinpohl 

Thank you, but working on our datamodel would simply be oversized for this platform.

@all

After we tried every absurd idea in our simple demo version, we came to the end, that we will not find any solution. We now started to use the Trigger "Open URL" instead of "Open QlikView-Document". So we can control, which parameters should be adopted to the other app and which should be fix.

But still, it is very sad, that the whole mechanism fails on the single fact, that it is not possible to exclude fields from status handover in Trigger "Open QlikView-Document".

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Miriam, you may want to take a look at the following Design Blog post:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/Big-Data-with-Qlik-One-method-does-not-fit-all/ba-p/1...

That is about the only other means I see to approach things in a single app and then use ABDI and ODAG to create the subsequent app...

I am not sure why you did not discuss this with the consultants that were onsite as well, unless you had the architects in and not an app development consultant, the latter is likely what you needed on this one I believe.  

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
miriam
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hello Brett,

thanks for your Reply! As far as I understand, ODAG and ABDI are just available in Qlik Sense (and nPrinting), but we are using Qlik View.

Unfortunately the Video-Link in the Post is down.

It was some time ago, when we had the consultants here (in fact, it was before I joined the Company). At that time there were no specific plans to try using Document Chaining.

Kind Regards,

Miriam

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Miriam, unfortunately I am not as up as I probably should be on ABDI and ODAG, what you may want to do to be sure is reach out to your Account Manager to arrange a discussion to be sure what is and is not available on QlikView side of things, as I could have sworn it was available in QlikView as well.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
miriam
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Okay, thanks!