Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamdavi3s
Master
Master

Document slowing up when selections made

Hi All,

This is the first time I've come across this issue. However I am using some 'bridge' tables for the first time, which could be why this is the first time I am seeing it.

I have a 1gb document which works as quick as I would expect it to work.

It has one fact table, a couple of dimensions hanging off it and then a 'date bridge' table (using a numeric key field) which links to a calendar.

The fact is circa 9m rows, 5 dates so the bridge is 45m rows.

What I have noticed is that as I filter down to lower levels, the document really slows up... One simple chart goes from a 0 calc time and a 16kb mem usage to 5000ms and 30mb

This is when I've drilled from say 9m rows down to 50 rows

formula is stored in a variable and is essentially sum({<datebridge={'datetype'}>}somevalue) so not exactly intensive.

I can't spot / understand what is causing such a decrease in performance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
adamdavi3s
Master
Master
Author

I managed to trace this to a calculated dimension in the end.

I did mess around with the bridge table and obviously reducing the rows helped, but removing the calculated dimension resolved the issue instantly

View solution in original post

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

The reason is really your bridge-table which led to huge virtual tables on which your expressions calculate their results. The best explanations will you find here:

Logical Inference and Aggregations

The Calculation Engine

- Marcus

adamdavi3s
Master
Master
Author

Excellent I'll have a read thank you

adamdavi3s
Master
Master
Author

Yep makes sense, I had read the post on the Canonical date and assumed it was a new accepted 'standard' but in this case multiple cals are the way to go, a little more faf in the formula but at least it will run properly.

I'm not totally clear on why the run time increases as the data is reduced, I assume as its because reducing the data is increasing the selected items and therefore the calculation complexity

adamdavi3s
Master
Master
Author

I managed to trace this to a calculated dimension in the end.

I did mess around with the bridge table and obviously reducing the rows helped, but removing the calculated dimension resolved the issue instantly