Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Drill-down problem

Hi guys,

I usually experience this strange drill-down behavior of Qlikview: if the drill-down operation results in only one available value, it is skipped and drill-down continues on the lower levels.

Examples are in screenshots:

This is the initial situation. There this this group TIME which includes all the time related fields starting from YEAR and finishing with SECOND:

error loading image

When I click on the year 2008 Qlikview does a normal drill-down and obviously moves down to the MONTH level:

error loading image

But, if instead of 2008 I choose 2007 where I have only 3 values in total what I get is this:

error loading image

As you can see Qlikview skips all the levels where there is only one available element to show. So, the first level where 2 elements are found is HOUR. And this is where the drill-down stops. There is no way I can see the MONTH level on the chart if 2007 is selected.

Am I missing something? Are there solutions?

Thanks!

Valera

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Valera,

When a drill-down group is used as a dimension in a chart, the chart will use the first field in the group's list of fields that has more than one possible value. If selections are made that cause the field to have only one possible value, the next field in the list will be used instead, provided that it has more than one possible value. If no field in the list has more than one possible value, the last field will be used anyway.

That´s like QlikView behave.

Good luck!

Rainer

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Maybe a stupid question - but is the sort order right (Year -> Month -> Day -> Hour)?

If yes, could you post your application and I'll have a look.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The order is right Year - Month - Day...

Take a look at the application. I would appreciate any suggestions. 🙂

Thanks.

Valera

Not applicable
Author

Hi Valera,

When a drill-down group is used as a dimension in a chart, the chart will use the first field in the group's list of fields that has more than one possible value. If selections are made that cause the field to have only one possible value, the next field in the list will be used instead, provided that it has more than one possible value. If no field in the list has more than one possible value, the last field will be used anyway.

That´s like QlikView behave.

Good luck!

Rainer

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Rainer,

so, by this you mean that what I consider an anomaly is actually the natural Qlikview's behavior? 🙂

Well then, I guess I need to find a workaround... 😕

Not applicable
Author

Did you find a workaround for this issue??? I'm having a very similar problem...

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Nope, no nice workaround except of showing explicitly in separate boxes the drill-down field values.

As you can see on the attached screenshots above I put the list boxes with the fields which participate in the drill-down group.

Maybe there is a way to solve this problem with macro - this is still to discover.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The workaround I've seen on the Forum is to add a null value to each category to make sure you always have "more than one".

I would attach an example but the file attachment upload seems to have stopped working.

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

A NULL value sounds fine. I guess I will take this as a good workaround. 🙂

Thanks.

Not applicable
Author

Looks like this issue is fixed in version 9