Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dynamically reading excel sheets from a folder

Hi,

I want to read the excel files from a folder dynamically.If I entered a new data then it should read dynamically and produce output in the dashboard.

5 Replies
kiranmanoharrode
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Ramya,

It is possible to read the excel files from a folder dynamically, but the nominclature of the file and header of the data field must be standard in all files.

for ex. Files are named with BUD2014Nov.xls,BUD2014Dec.xls,BUD2015Jan.xls

and all headers must be same in all files (No of fields and title of the fields)

With above standards, it is easy to fetch data dynamically from single folder

Test:

Load *

From

D:\folder\BUD*.xls;

Regards,

Kiran

datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi Ramya,

can you be a bit more explicit about your goal, please?

Reading new data dynamically is possible using QMC - just set the app to reload every xx minutes and new data will be loaded then - reloading as soon as there is data might be possible using an external trigger, but certainly not easy.

If what you want is reading new Excel_files when they pop up in the directory, you need a FOR_EACH loop.

HTH

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Not applicable
Author

hi ramya,

if u entered new data to the existing files in excel or so called table then we have to add new records explicitly in qlikview with the help of date field. it is called incremental load.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Kiran,

I have same issue with bit of different scenario -

I am receiving daily production report  from the users in below format and file name.

"Production Report of jan.xls"

IDName01/01/201501/02/201501/03/2015
1a109020
2b204630
3c304598

I am going to get same format data for February  also .

Here the problem is as per your code i can load all the excel file from a folder which is having same nomenclature and header but in my case first and second column will have the same header but from third column it won't as from here date is going to start.

I am using crosstable to making date as a field in Qlikview.

Please advise how can i resolve this issue.

Your help on this regard will be appreciated.

Thanks & regards,

Himanshu

Not applicable
Author

You could write:

Load * FROM C:\Excels\*.xls (biff, embedded labels, table is [sheet_name$]);

Provided you have no ambiguity in the data field names. It is necessary that the column names should be same in every excel and the name of the sheet should also be the same in every excel file.