Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Equation that only responds to selections in one field?

Hi all -

I have a simple SUM equation that I would like to only respond to selections in two fields - Country and Year - but otherwise be bound to the parameters I have in the set analysis.  Right now it looks like this;

SUM({<[Finance Type]={'GDP'}>}Amounts)

So what I would like is for it to respond to Country and Year, but only return values from the field Finance Type = 'GDP' and not respond to selections in any other fields.  Any assistance?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try this:

SUM({1<[Finance Type]={'GDP'}, Country = $::Country, Year = $::Year>} Amounts)

View solution in original post

7 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try this:

SUM({1<[Finance Type]={'GDP'}, Country = $::Country, Year = $::Year>} Amounts)

Not applicable
Author

Double-EDIT: Ignore my previous edit.  This was correct, I had a typo when I pasted it. Could you explain to me the syntax of the things you have added (1, the $ and ::)?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

1 is stating the set identifier for global state with no selections / filtering.

SUM({1} Amounts) will just return the total sum of Amounts, not considering any selections.

Then I added set modifiers on top of that (within the <...>):

[Finance Typ] = {'GDP'}            Apply a selection of 'GDP' in field Finance Typ

Country = $::Country                Apply the selection of field Country in default selection state $ to field Country

Year = $::Year                         Apply the selection of field Year in default selection state $ to field Year

Use of $:: may not be mandatory, I use to explicitely state the state I want to read selections from.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Could you post a small sample QVW? And what you expect to see when selecting certain values?

Not applicable
Author

See above - you were correct in the first response, I just had a typo when I pasted it.

Not applicable
Author

I guess I'm not really understanding what $:: does still.  What is it doing when you define the Country selection as $::Country?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

The :: is a so called scope operator, it just tells QV which state to look at when you referencing a field.

I am not sure how firm you are with set expression or alternate states, the $ references the current selection state, the state of current user selections e.g. in list boxes or charts. Maybe you can think of

Year = $::Year

like copying the user selections in a field Year list box to the internal state used for the aggregation (which is then a mixture of the full records set identifier 1 and the Year selections)

[Plus modifications in Type and Country]

Note sure if this clarifies anything, just play around and you will learn how it works.