Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Error in Qlikview Charting

After spending many hours trying to get a chart to provide the top 3 responses from a set of data and failing we decided to create the results in the sql query so that it only brings in the results we want.  e.g. the top three for each category.

The attached qvw illustrates the issue we have had.

The Table creates the correct results.

Top 3 Table.png

The Chart using a stack option also creates the correct results.

Top 3 Chart Stack.png

However the Chart using the group option does not work and includes other data and separates the bars on the chart!!!

Top 3 Chart Group.png

Is this an issue with Qlikview Charting???  It looks like it to us.

Qlikview people can you help???

Thanks

Rob

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

I don't see the issue... It seems you've already discoverd the Show Others options on the Dimension Limits tab to show or hide the Others category. For a calculated dimension using rank you can check the option Suppress When Value is Null. But since you're using QV11 use Dimension Limits if the chart type allows it.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

See attached qvw. The colors assigned to the *_text2 categories are a bit different, but I think this looks more like you want it. The default behaviour with two dimensions is to use the same order of the second dimension for every group per value from the first dimension. And if there's no value for a category then you get a gap between the bars because no bar is shown for that category. This does make sense, but it would be nice to have an easier option to change that behaviour to one of several options.

Not applicable
Author

That explains a few things and why we have struggled so much!

Thanks Gysbert.

I'm applying this calculation to the original chart we were trying to create and there is a slight difference in results.

It seems to be calculating the top two results and then combining all of the other results.  See diagram below.

Top 3 Chart others.png

Is there a way to have the top 3 only?

This help is appreciated.

Also, I agree that it would be good to have this as an option - should we be pushing this with Qlikview?

Thanks

Rob

Gysbert_Wassenaar

See attached qvw. There are two ways to create a top X. The easiest is to use dimension limits, but you need QV11 for that. If you don't have that you can use a calculated dimension using the rank function.

Not applicable
Author

Hello Gysbert, I really appreciate you taking the time to look at this.

The Strange thing is I am using QV11!

For the file you have been looking at we had already ran a pre selection process in the load script to sort to the top three results for each of the workmodes (Focus, Collaborate etc.).

I have attached the original data and chart for you which has the unsorted data - I have used the dimension calcs you have added - and I can see what it does (I think!).

To get the top three results I still have to use the Dimansion limits and but still get the OTHERS category when I apply.

I'm really sorry to be a pain but if you could take a look at this latest qvw to see if you could solve this issue - again it would be appreciated.  I think there are many others on this community that would also benefit from the answer.

Thanks again

Rob

Not applicable
Author

New qvw attached above Barriers Rank Top 3 Rev 4.qvw

Gysbert_Wassenaar

I don't see the issue... It seems you've already discoverd the Show Others options on the Dimension Limits tab to show or hide the Others category. For a calculated dimension using rank you can check the option Suppress When Value is Null. But since you're using QV11 use Dimension Limits if the chart type allows it.

Not applicable
Author

Sorry Gysbert, it was the Suppress When Value is Nul option I had to check on the second calculated dimension to remove the OTHERS information and provide only the top three.

That has solved the issue.

Thank you again.

Rob

(I will post this answer on another dicussion I had for others)