Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Expression Overview crashes

Hi,

I'm new to Qlikview so I'm pretty certain I have done something to create this problem myself, however I have a document in which whenever I attempt open the Expression Overview (using either the menu of shortcut keys) Qlikview freezes. Any ideas? Is there somewhere I can post the file? This doesn't happen when I'm in other files...

Regards,

Rob

15 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

I had the same thing happen to me last week. I was running v9 service pack 1 of QV. I upgraded to service pack 5 and the problem does not happen anymore. I was caused by another developer including in the group tab on the overview a formula which my version couldn't handle.

Hope this helps,

Sheilana

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Sheilana. I have (re)installed the latest version to no avail. Can you point me to where I get the service pack from?

ddking
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi! I've got same problem on QV10 release. Huh?

ddking
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

After I press Expression Overview QV.exe is behaving like there is an invisible modal window. May be Expression Overview is creating but not showing for some reason? Idea

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I've encountered the same trouble on QlikView V10.00.8815.6 SR1 (Free Edition) After some hard bug hunt, I think I finally found what causes this problem on my QlikView document : It occurs when one or more listbox use at least one right side expression.

The Expression Overview won't crash if you don't use any functions (when using Sum,concat,Count(FieldName) : it crashes, when using a field (=FieldName), a constant ('1', =1) it does not, but the Expression is not displayed in the Expression Overview)

Do you use them ?

I can't find any other reference to this issue. Has it been fixed in the non-free Version or in a later release ? Or is it still occurring ?
Is it worth reporting ? If yes, where should I report it ? I'm new in this community ...

Thanks,

Laurent

ddking
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi,

all my docs was made in QV9, so there are no right side expressions in listboxes.

I've mailed this issue to QV support and this bug is listed as fixed in 10SR2 release notes (Bug ID: 34623). I didn't checked it on 10SR2 myself, just readed release notes. So, you could try 10SR2 to see if the bug is gone.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll check it then post whether this issue is fixed.

Laurent,

Not applicable
Author

This behavior still occurs for me while working on a fairly complex qvw file, after selecting the "Settings.Expression Overview" menuitem, using QlikView Desktop version 10.00.8935.7 SR2 64-bit Edition (x64), licensed and registered.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it "crashes"; more that it freezes, becomes locked up, becomes unresponsive, and there is a chime sound when I click anywhere on the application. I cannot say I let this bother me too much; I just try to stay away from "Expression Overview" when I can.

Note: Same/similar behavior occurs at times in the "Edit Expression" dialogbox, when you double-click on the autocomplete item (Microsoft calls it IntelliSense). Eg: The example qvw file has, among its fields, the following two: [Q1 Total], Q1_Total_Image. In the "Edit Expression" dialogbox, type "Q1" then double-click on the autocompleted item of "Q1 Total". The "Edit Expression" dialogbox nicely resolves the item and displays [Q1 Total]. But in this example you realize that you actually wanted the image field, so you move the cursor to the beginning of [Q1 Total] and click the Del key once, in order to delete the opening square bracket character. Autocomplete presents two items and this time double-click on the second item, "Q1_Total_Image". The "Edit Expression" dialogbox disappears and QlikView Desktop becomes a frozen chiming machine.

Tip: A way that I get out of this situation, without losing my work, is the following steps:

1. Launch Windows "Task Manager" (I right-mouse click on the Windows taskbar.)
  2. Locate on the Applications tab and select the task representing QlikView Desktop.
  3. Click the "End Task" button.
  4. IMPORTANT: When QlikView Desktop comes back to life and asks me if I'd like to save changes to my current file, I click the *Cancel* button.
  5. If the Task Manager's "End Program" dialogbox doesn't already disappear on its own, click the *Cancel* button on that, too.
  6. Good to go, continue working with QlikView Desktop...

I hope this helps someone.

D.Will, ATP Engineering

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I've just installed  the SR2 ( 10.00.8935.7 SR2, Desktop Edition, X86). The Expression Overview does not freeze  (Yes, it was a freeze, and not a crash, sorry) anymore when using left side expression in a ListBox (Tested with 3 expressions in different listboxes).

@D.Will : I tried to recreate your scenario on this version. It sure did something funny :

1.    count( DISTINCT [ID COL])

2.    count( DISTINCT ID COL])

3.    count(DISID_COL_SID COL] )

But it didn't freeze or did anything else

As far as I'm concerned, this issue seems to have been solved on the X86 version,

Laurent.

PS : Don't know how you manage to avoid using Expression Overview in complex QVW. It saves a lot of time and effort when performing changes.