Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Expression/Variable help

Good morning folks,

If I have an expression, Max( [Invoice Date]), that I have saved as a variable called MaxInv.

However, when I include the variable in the following expression, it's not returning the desired result.

= Count( IF( '$(eMininv)' >= '$(vMaxDate)'  AND '$(eMinInv)' <= '$(vMaxDate)',  [Supplier Name]))

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Gareth

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Colin-Albert

Try this expression which returns 763

= sum(aggr(

if( max({1} [Invoice Date]) >= date(floor(monthstart(makedate(min(Year), min(match(Month, 'Jan','Feb','Mar','Apr','May','Jun','Jul','Aug','Sep','Oct','Nov','Dec'))))))

and max({1} [Invoice Date]) <= date(floor(monthend  (makedate(max(Year), max(match(Month, 'Jan','Feb','Mar','Apr','May','Jun','Jul','Aug','Sep','Oct','Nov','Dec'))))))

, 1),

[Supplier Number]))

The expression would be simpler if your Month field was held as a correctly formatted dual field then the match() expression would not be needed to get the correct min & max values.

Use the QlikView  Month() functions to derive month from dates rather than using text fields.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Colin-Albert

Hi Gareth,

When you say "it is not returning the desired result", is it returning an incorrect count or nothing?

You have spelt eMinInv differently in your expression - QlikView is case sensitive  eMininv and eMinInv are two different variables to Qlik.

Your max date variable is named MaxInv but this is not used in the expression you posted.

If you add your expression to a straight table chart with a blank label, you can hover over the column header and see how Qlik is evaluating your expression.

jduarte12
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi

Also check if the date formats are compatible in those variables.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply.

I have amended the spelling errors, and it is now returning zero rather than 23,000! The expression should return 763.

I have attached my file if this helps evaluate where I am going wrong.

Thanks,

Gareth

Colin-Albert

Your expression should be

= Count(distinct IF( [Invoice Date] >= '$(vMinDate)' AND [Invoice Date] <= '$(vMaxDate)',  [Supplier Name]))

Or using Set Analysis

= Count({<[Invoice Date] = {">= $(vMinDate)<=$(vMaxDate)"}>} distinct [Supplier Name])

These return 1752 using your data

test count.JPG

snehamahaveer
Creator
Creator

Hi Gareth,

May be you should try aggregating the expression.

=Sum(aggr(if($(eMinInv) >= (vMaxDate)  AND $(eMinInv) <= (vMaxDate), 1,0) [Supplier Name]))

Regards,

SM

Colin-Albert

Try this expression which returns 763

= sum(aggr(

if( max({1} [Invoice Date]) >= date(floor(monthstart(makedate(min(Year), min(match(Month, 'Jan','Feb','Mar','Apr','May','Jun','Jul','Aug','Sep','Oct','Nov','Dec'))))))

and max({1} [Invoice Date]) <= date(floor(monthend  (makedate(max(Year), max(match(Month, 'Jan','Feb','Mar','Apr','May','Jun','Jul','Aug','Sep','Oct','Nov','Dec'))))))

, 1),

[Supplier Number]))

The expression would be simpler if your Month field was held as a correctly formatted dual field then the match() expression would not be needed to get the correct min & max values.

Use the QlikView  Month() functions to derive month from dates rather than using text fields.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Colin,

That works exactly as I wanted.

For reference, how would I correctly format my Month field as a dual field, and then how would this change the expression?

Thanks,

Gareth