Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CNH_1978
Contributor II
Contributor II

Extract data in smaller chunks (loop)

Hi everyone. 

I am trying to extract a table from our data warehouse with approx. 10 million records. It keeps timing out, so the DB team have suggested pulling the data in chucks instead of doing 1 single load. 

Can anyone help in what I need to do to write a loop around my table load please?

The loop will just need to be on the number of records not on a date/month/year or any other field. 

so i would extract the first 100,000 records, then loop to the start and extract records 100,001 to 200,001 etc, until all records have been extracted. 

Thanks

Labels (1)
4 Replies
anat
Master
Master

in data do u have any fields like country or region like geographical data, then extract data using these fields like

sel * from table where country='IND';

sel * from table where country='AUS'

CNH_1978
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi ,

Unfortunately not, its route data (long and lat) the only fields in this specific table is 

RouteID

Long

Lat

Its then linked to other tables on the RouteID field. 

So i need to extract small chunks of the data at a time, i guess based on the ROWNO()

So I would need the loop to start at row 0-1000, then the next loop would extract 1001-2001 etc until all records have been extracted. 

marcus_sommer

I think I wouldn't loop on a record-level else just using a rounding on lat or long like round(lat, 9) to get theoretically 20 chunks for the possible -90° to 90°. Depending on the real existing lat/long in your data and/or the writing-syntax in which the data are stored you may adjust the rounding to get rather equally sized chunks.

- Marcus

Davis69
Contributor III
Contributor III

the real existing lat/long in your data and/or the writing-syntax in which the data are stored you may adjust the rounding to get rather equally sized chunks.                                                      QuickPayPortal