Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Extracting data from Memo fields in SQL

Hi all,

I need to extract a piece of information from a memo/blob field in SQL, can Qlikview do this and if so does anybody know the way to go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Steven Prentice

4 Replies
stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Steven,

QlikView can read memo fields so it really depends on the way the data is in the field and what you need to get out of it.

Regards,

Stephen

Not applicable
Author

Hi

Thanks very much. Basically the memo field is just broken up into different section access defined by [ ]. I need to extract the information beneath one of these headers only.

How do you load blob fields into Qlikview?

When I select Blobs on the load, it sayd Blobs not supported with this type of connection, SQL OLE DB.

Thanks,

Steven

stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Steven,

I don't know what version of the SQL driver you are using but I don't remember ever having issues with TEXT fields.  Perhaps make sure that you are using the latest SQL Native client driver.

You might have a problem with non TEXT blob fields such as image.  Then you will need to craft your SQL to return text.  Something like this:

SQL SELECT ID, CONVERT(Varchar(1024), convert(varbinary(1024),BLOB_FIELD)) as BLOB_FIELD FROM [dbo].[Blob_Table];

Regards,

Stephen

Not applicable
Author

I have a similar issue- I am reading Oracle DB through OLE DB.  I have a field that is a BLOB.  I am able to read it into QV but it is still encoded.  How do I decode/convert to text so that I can parse the field?  (BTW...I tried the CONVERT above and got an error.)  Thanks.