Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eldinkarisik
Contributor III
Contributor III

Extracting the max value

Hi all,

I am trying to extract the max value of a period in months. So in the following table we see a YearMonth Column with what the max was in that month for each month with the following expression: 

=sum(aggr(max(QTY),YearMonth,DEPOT_NAME, RTI_NAME, RTI_State))

Table.PNG

However, it provides me a sum value instead of providing me which month was the max with its value. In this case I do not want to know the max of each month but when I select for example year 2019 that I get a max value (not interested which month) . In addition, when I would select a specific year and month the for example 2019-01 the value should change accordingly. 

Another, complexity is that the max per month is based on the different kind of items and its status on different dates. For example: 

DateItemStatusQTY
01-01-2019ABroken50
01-01-2019ANon_Broken100
01-01-2019BBroken0
01-01-2019BNon_Broken50
02-01-2019ABroken60
02-01-2019ANon_Broken50
02-01-2019BBroken40
02-01-2019BNon_Broken100

So, the max of this will be in QTY: 01-01-2019 has together 200 and 02-01-2019 = 250 and when selecting for example 01-2019 it gives the 250. 

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jensmunnichs
Creator III
Creator III

I'm not sure how you get 5722 as your max, using the data set you gave me I believe the max is 4721, which happened in April. Have a look at the attached file (I've simplified the field names a bit in script).

I even checked what should be the max value in a pivot table in Excel:

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

8 Replies
jensmunnichs
Creator III
Creator III

Right now, your aggr() function is creating an invisible table with Max(QTY) grouped by those 4 dimensions. This means that you don't have 1 max value per YearMonth, instead you have way more (1 per YearMonth, DEPOT_NAME, RTI_NAME, RTI_State combination). You then use Sum while only using 1 dimension, YearMonth. This means that all those max values with the same YearMonth will be added together, hence the sum value.

Instead, if I'm understanding your requirement correctly, you want to sum the values per Date (regardless of Type/Item), and then find the Max value from that list, grouped by YearMonth (or just year). If that's correct, I think it would be best to create a pivot table with Year and YearMonth as dimensions and the following expression:

=Max(Aggr(Sum(QTY), Date))

Let me know if that works for you.

Eldinkarisik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I have tried that expression and unfortunately it gives me wrong numbers for each month. It does give me the max within that period but then the value of that month is incorrect. 

So, in the post in the first table where YearMonth and the expression is given, the month 2019-07 is not anymore 4255 but now 131905. This also applies to other months as well. However, it does provide that in 2019-07 the max is identified but with a wrong value. 

jensmunnichs
Creator III
Creator III

Would you be able to post your application or at least (part of) your data so I can test a few things?

Eldinkarisik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Here is a sample of the data for 2019

Eldinkarisik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

This should be the solution: 

Table2.PNG

jensmunnichs
Creator III
Creator III

I'm not sure how you get 5722 as your max, using the data set you gave me I believe the max is 4721, which happened in April. Have a look at the attached file (I've simplified the field names a bit in script).

I even checked what should be the max value in a pivot table in Excel:

Capture.PNG

Eldinkarisik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

It worked, only there were some problem with the source data on how QTY is extracted that made the results a bit confusing. However, when I fixed that your set analysis worked. 

Thank you!

nilesh_gawali
Contributor II
Contributor II

=Max(Aggr(Sum(QTY), Date))

It's the same issue for me, but the scenario is a little different.

As soon as we select a date range, I want the sum of values (from another column) of the maximum date for that range.

e.g. If I select the range 1-Jan to 4-Feb and the maximum date present is 28-Jan, then it should take a sum of values (present in another column) for 28-Jan.