Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vegar
MVP
MVP

Filesize() returns values when NULL is expected

I have one application containing a script that checks the filesize of an qvs file.

Filesize('/initlink.qvs')

There is no initlink.qvs file in the application folder and I expect the result to be null() (or zero). I do have a initlink.qvs file in another folder ..\..\initlink.qvs, but that should not affect my output.

When opening and running it using a shared network adress \\servername\folder\subfolder\application\ then the function returns null()

When opening an running the script using the local drive adress E:\Qlikview\folder\subfolder\application\ then I get the value 5048. 

Screenshot_20230921_004340_Gallery.jpg

I am using the exact same instance of QlikView Desktop installed on a QlikView Server in both my script executions.

I believe this expression returned null() running from both locations earlier this week, but something has changed and I dont understand why.

Have you seen this behaviour before? What can be the reason for this behaviour?  How can I solve this without making  any changes to the script.

- Vegar 

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP
Author

Issue solved. I'll explain for future reference.

I've missunderstood how Qlik interpreted the path that I used. 

Filesize('/InitLink.qvs') will point to the root of the drive that I am on. So when calling this function from the application E:\Qlikview\folder\subfolder\application\MyApp.qvw I will not be taking the filesize of E:\Qlikview\folder\subfolder\application\InitLink.qvs, but the filesize of "E:\InitLink.qvd"

Similar using a network address. Running the script from  \\servername\folder\subfolder\application\MyApp.qvw the Filesize('/InitLink.qvs') will look for the size of \\servername\InitLink.qvs and not \\servername\folder\subfolder\application\InitLink.qvs.

We had accidentally put a InitLink.qvs file on E:/ which initiated this confusion.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Vegar
MVP
MVP
Author

Issue solved. I'll explain for future reference.

I've missunderstood how Qlik interpreted the path that I used. 

Filesize('/InitLink.qvs') will point to the root of the drive that I am on. So when calling this function from the application E:\Qlikview\folder\subfolder\application\MyApp.qvw I will not be taking the filesize of E:\Qlikview\folder\subfolder\application\InitLink.qvs, but the filesize of "E:\InitLink.qvd"

Similar using a network address. Running the script from  \\servername\folder\subfolder\application\MyApp.qvw the Filesize('/InitLink.qvs') will look for the size of \\servername\InitLink.qvs and not \\servername\folder\subfolder\application\InitLink.qvs.

We had accidentally put a InitLink.qvs file on E:/ which initiated this confusion.