Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lbunnell
Creator
Creator

Filtered Left Join with Set Analysis

I have two tables from separate QVDs auto joined in my presentation layer on a common 'Title' field.

Table 1:

Title

Format

Status

...other fields...

Table 2:

Title

Username

Sessions

...other fields...

Table 1 contains all of the records and Table 2 contains a subset of the records. I'm trying to get a set analysis expression for a chart straight table that will show all of the rows from Table 1 that do not have a corresponding record in Table 2. Since none of the records in Table 1 have a Username field, I thought something like this might work

=count({1-$<Username={"*"}>} Distinct Title)

However, I'm still only getting the records that are in both tables. I'd also like to only get the records with a Format="Cognos" and Status="Active"

Any help is appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Not sure which approach you are using. With Calculated Dimension you can do this:

If(IsNull(Username) and Format = 'Cognos' and  Status = 'Active', Title)

With Set Analysis you can try this:

{<Title=e({<Username={'*?'}>})> * <Format = {'Cognos'}> * <Status = {'Active'}>}

View solution in original post

7 Replies
sunny_talwar

Try this with a calculated dimension, may be like this:

If(IsNull(Username), Title) and check the option 'Suppress When Value Is Null' on dimension tabs under properties.

Attaching a sample to look at:

Capture.PNG

Best,

Sunny

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Try

Count( {$<Title=E({1<Username={"*"}>} Title )>} distinct Title )

In other words: The E() function will return the set of Titles that are excluded if you select all Usernames.

HIC

sunny_talwar

Or if you want to use set analysis, you can try to use this:

Capture.PNG

lbunnell
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks, that seems to do it! Now how to solve for Format=Cognos and Status=Active?

sunny_talwar

Not sure which approach you are using. With Calculated Dimension you can do this:

If(IsNull(Username) and Format = 'Cognos' and  Status = 'Active', Title)

With Set Analysis you can try this:

{<Title=e({<Username={'*?'}>})> * <Format = {'Cognos'}> * <Status = {'Active'}>}

lbunnell
Creator
Creator
Author

The set analysis version works. Not sure why expression wouldn't work, but perhaps the field may have some value other than null.

sunny_talwar

The first one should have worked also, but I am glad that the set analysis option worked out for you.

Best,

Sunny