Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

First ever Initial load - help!

So I'm one of very few using qlikview in a "grassroots" manner at my institution. I also have posted before that I have always been a poweruser in reporting tools, but never got into programming or scripting. I've been learning SQL, to help facilitate my transition into qlikview developer.  (I feel like I'm learning Latin- so many applications to other languages!).

My question is:

I am out here, lone wolf, with a connection to table views in our Oracle data warehouse at a large university.

I've edited my script to pull the fields I need; my question is how do i limit the data on the FIRST load? I know that I can use qvd and various methods for incremental loads...but how do I limit this FIRST EVER load so that i only get the data for the 7 divisions I am responsible for?  The database is enormous, and Qlikview hangs up at about record 765,000 of the first table...and there are probably a bazillion to go.

We have numbers to represent the divisions - is there a way to stick a WHERE clause in my load statement so that it makes a first pass for me?

Let me know if this makes no sense.

11 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

the index pertains to fields in the database. If you are retrieving records from a database table that is very large, you can improve performance by indexing the fields that your query is filtering on.  so if you a filter that says something like  'where customernumber = 1' , you would want the customernumber field in the database to be indexed. But its really only something a database administrator can change .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_index

Not applicable
Author

Got it. Like the old card system in a library. I know a dba at my institution...also I think I there are some system generated key fields that I've overlooked.

Thanks!