Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jzimolong
Creator II
Creator II

FirstSortedValue - Based on Max Value

I am struggling with the following issue.  I have attached a sample qvw.

I have a simple table, which breaks down weekly stats for a team.  I have a chart that has three dimensions, then does a sum of points.  What I'm trying to add is a second expression that shows the player who had the maximum points for the given week.

I have used the FirstSortedValue function and it appears to work, but there is one week where it does not display the correct player.

In the attached, you will see the table and chart.  I can't figure out why the function returns 'Timothy Wright' in week 7, when it should return 'Eric Ebron' because he had 14.9 pts vs 1.3 for Wright.

Perhaps I should be using an entirely different approach?  Please keep in mind this is a small snapshot of the overall dataset, just to illustrate the issue.  I have a set analysis built into the expression to show the function as it is in my actual qvw file (even though it is not needed for this small sample).  Not sure if it makes a difference.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rubenmarin

Hi Joseph, try adding week to the Aggr() function:

FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT Player,-Aggr(SUM({$<pos={'TE'}>}pts),wk,Player))

View solution in original post

7 Replies
rubenmarin

Hi Joseph, try adding week to the Aggr() function:

sunny_talwar

Try this expression:

FirstSortedValue(Player,-Aggr(SUM({$<pos={'TE'}>}pts),def, wk, pos, Player))

Capture.PNG

jzimolong
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank you Ruben and Sunny, I didn't realize you could add multiple columns in the Aggr function.  This fixed the issue I was experiencing, and uncovered another.

If I changed the data for wk 7, making the points equal for both Ebron and Wright.  Now, the function comes back as NULL as it doesn't know which one to display.  Could it be forced to pick one (perhaps based on the alpha sort on Player)?

Here is updated load script.  I couldn't not repost the sample qvw.  Chart now shows NULL for week 7.

PlayerData:
load * inline
[
def, wk, pos, Player, pts
MIN, 1, TE, Vernon Davis, 4.7
MIN, 1, TE, Garrett Celek, 4
MIN, 1, TE, Vance McDonald, 0.5
MIN, 2, TE, Eric Ebron, 10.3
MIN, 3, TE, John Phillips, 3.5
MIN, 3, TE, David Johnson, 0.2
MIN, 4, TE, Owen Daniels, 6.9
MIN, 6, TE, Travis Kelce, 8.8
MIN, 6, TE, James O'Shaughnessy, 2.3
MIN, 6, TE, Demetrius Harris, 1.5
MIN, 7, TE, Eric Ebron, 7
MIN, 7, TE, Timothy Wright, 7
]

sunny_talwar

Distinct should help in that case:

FirstSortedValue(DISTINCT Player,-Aggr(SUM({$<pos={'TE'}>}pts),def, wk, pos, Player))

Capture.PNG

rubenmarin

Hi Joseph, same expression works for me:

jzimolong
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank you Ruben, you had the DISTINCT in there all along.

jzimolong
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank you Sunny, appreciate the quick replies.