Skip to main content
Announcements
Customer Spotlight: Discover what’s possible with embedded analytics Oct. 16 at 10:00 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Formatting Dates for a Qlikview Doc

Working on my first Qlikview document. The dates in my sales report are in MM/DD/YYYY format.

I would like to set up a list box that will allow filtering sales by month. When I create the list box, I get all of the months repeated for each sales in the applicable month. So my list box has 10 Januarys, 13 Februarys, 6 Marchs, etc.

How do I correct this in the script, so I only get one of each month, and when that month is selected by the users, all of the sales in that month are highlighted in the document.

thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

To explain further, MMM is just a format. It isn't changing the underlying value of the field, which is still a date. It is only changing how the date is displayed. The month() function, on the other hand, extracts the month from the date. So all dates in a month will have the same month(Date). For performance, it is usually better to establish a Month field in the script.

LOAD
,EngagementDate
,month(EngagementDate) as EngagementMonth

Sometimes this is done with a separate calendar table. Sometimes this field is just added to your main table. Either way works.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Well, the syntax is month(datefield). Is that not what you have currently?

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

The only thing I have at this point is the date field EngagementDate being pulled in from the load script. I'm using that field in a List box and have modified the format so that it displays in MMM format. However, the EngagementDate field contains the MM/DD/YYYY from the database. Its not broken out.

I am a very new user and have not attended a training session yet. Just building a document using the reference material contained with the application.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Create a list box that lists an Expression. The expression would then be the following: month(EngagementDate). If this does not work, then your date field is not formatted properly as a date and you should fix that in the script.

Regards,

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

To explain further, MMM is just a format. It isn't changing the underlying value of the field, which is still a date. It is only changing how the date is displayed. The month() function, on the other hand, extracts the month from the date. So all dates in a month will have the same month(Date). For performance, it is usually better to establish a Month field in the script.

LOAD
,EngagementDate
,month(EngagementDate) as EngagementMonth

Sometimes this is done with a separate calendar table. Sometimes this field is just added to your main table. Either way works.

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Thanks, John, that's an excellent explanation!

Not applicable
Author

Thanks John

This worked perfectly and accomplished what I needed.

Not applicable
Author

Al,

Search for "Date and Time Functions" in the QlikView Help file...you'll find a treasure trove of great operators to manipulate your date field... Yes