Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

General question: How best to identify objects?

Hi,

in my last job with QlikView I have made a habit of putting something into the caption of every object, even if that was not supposed to be shown - when there are like 16 textboxes on one sheet, that just makes it so much easier to identify what is what.

Now I have tried to do the same here - but in many cases, the caption is already filled - with a set_expression that fetches one of several texts (language support) from an Excel file.

Okay, in every set_expression there has to be something unique that also helps identify the object - but it's far from perfect to that end.

An alternative to this would be to change the automatic object_ID to something like >> TX_Help << - however I have just noticed you need to be careful with that because the IDs need to be unique, else a link between the objects (with the same ID) is established.

My question is: How do you do this - make it easier to identify what is what on a certain sheet?

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi all,

okay. I guess I'll close this thread now. It's nice to see/ read that you do this along the same lines as me and there isn't any possibility that I overlooked.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jubarrosor
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Hi Friedrich:

Look this thread abaout multilanguaje dashboard:

https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-7391

Best Regards,

Juan P. Barroso

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Thanks Juan!

However, that is already in place and working fine from the looks of it. The issue is, that set_expression does not necessarily tell me a lot about the object - you see, when I have lots of objects and no borders for some design consideration, it is kind of hard to tell what is what.

marcus_sommer

I think both methods are suitable for your aim - at least if you look within the sheet/document properties to the sheet-objects. Within a title with an expression you could use something like this at the beginning or on the end:

= /* TX01 for X reason */ YourExpression

By using the object-id the information could be added after the default id like: TX5000_XX which should minimize the risk of unwanted object-linking.

- Marcus

jubarrosor
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

ok, i usually use the sintax:

Type_Concept_seq

TXT_NavigationTag_001

TXT_NavigationTag_002

TXT_NavigationTag_003

CH_BarchartMonth_01

CH_BarchartWeek_02

Best Regards,

Juan P. Barroso

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Thanks Marcus!

Of course, block_comments would be an option within the expressions. Worth a shot.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi all,

okay. I guess I'll close this thread now. It's nice to see/ read that you do this along the same lines as me and there isn't any possibility that I overlooked.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler