Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ngrunoz
Contributor II
Contributor II

Generic Load

Hi guys.

I have Data which comes in in the form of a CSV file . It is structured As [ Key, Attribute, Value]. I want to pivot the Data  and have the questions as headers.

I am still very new to Qlikview so I have tried to use the Generic Load and it has created multiple Tables and I am not sure how to join the Tables to make one table  as the Attribute section has got over hundred different questions which has resulted in Hundreds of tables which looks clumsy and hard to work with.

Requirements:

1. I need to join the tables to make them One table
  2. I need to only load just only a few of the questions for my analysis for argument sake lets say only ( D.O.B, Ave Income, Employment Status) over the hundreds of questions.
    1. Would you advice that I do this in the scripting
    2. or I do it in the UI
    3. Which expression can I Use
  3. On Another note am I able manipulate the expressions that in the current format if it encounter a question which has a response in the form on number then it group the count expression using Class in the UI. eg  Employment Status = 500 employees then  Average Income $0 - $100 = 70 , $101 - $300 = 230 , Over $300 = 200.

• Citizen CodeQuestionResponse
    ZZZ1222D.O.B23/12/1979
    ZZZ1222Ave Income$560
    ZZZ1222Employment StatusPart Time
    ZZZ1222Education LevelHigh School
    ZZZ1222Family Size4
    ZZZ1223D.O.B23/12/1969
    ZZZ1223Ave Income$100
    ZZZ1223Employment StatusRetired
    ZZZ1223Education LevelPrimary
    ZZZ1223Family Size8

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

In general it worked but you have several records with the same attributes in your data and therefore you will get multiple records through the join - you might need some data-cleansing for it.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

15 Replies
marcus_sommer

Here is a very good explanation how to use The Generic Load which also include a join of all these tables.

But are you really sure that you will benefit from such a wide table? I suggest before doing this try to display your data with a pivot-chart in the UI.

- Marcus

ngrunoz
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Marcus. Thanks for you response. I have tried combining the tables but I am failing to make head way. I have attached a sample file. The other part of the visualization I can work fine with the data in the form of pivot tables and in the current structure before generic Load, but they is this part which I need to use some of the fields in the rows to create unique Keys. e.g one Citizen will have many transactions and would want to say CitizenCode + Date as Key. Hence the need to put them in columns and also need to extract certain text strings in the Generic Load.

marcus_sommer

There is no date-field within your script and also no data within your example.

- Marcus

ngrunoz
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I can no longer see the advanced editor to attach the amended Script.

ngrunoz
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Finally  got it. Attached here with Amended.

ngrunoz
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Data File

marcus_sommer

In general it worked but you have several records with the same attributes in your data and therefore you will get multiple records through the join - you might need some data-cleansing for it.

- Marcus

ngrunoz
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you very much it worked out perfectly well.

How about the second part is it possible to pick out selective attribute at first load to limit the number of tables. Ihave tried to use

WHERE Match ( Question,'Employment*','*Date*');

marcus_sommer

Yes, you could limit your data with a where-clause whereby in this case it should be wildmatch:

WHERE WildMatch(Question,'Employment*','*Date*');

Another clause might be working on the record-number if the structure and number of attributes is always the same - I mean something like:

where match(mod(rowno(), 11), 0,1,2,3,8);

- Marcus