Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ngrunoz
Contributor II
Contributor II

Generic Load

Hi guys.

I have Data which comes in in the form of a CSV file . It is structured As [ Key, Attribute, Value]. I want to pivot the Data  and have the questions as headers.

I am still very new to Qlikview so I have tried to use the Generic Load and it has created multiple Tables and I am not sure how to join the Tables to make one table  as the Attribute section has got over hundred different questions which has resulted in Hundreds of tables which looks clumsy and hard to work with.

Requirements:

1. I need to join the tables to make them One table
  2. I need to only load just only a few of the questions for my analysis for argument sake lets say only ( D.O.B, Ave Income, Employment Status) over the hundreds of questions.
    1. Would you advice that I do this in the scripting
    2. or I do it in the UI
    3. Which expression can I Use
  3. On Another note am I able manipulate the expressions that in the current format if it encounter a question which has a response in the form on number then it group the count expression using Class in the UI. eg  Employment Status = 500 employees then  Average Income $0 - $100 = 70 , $101 - $300 = 230 , Over $300 = 200.

• Citizen CodeQuestionResponse
    ZZZ1222D.O.B23/12/1979
    ZZZ1222Ave Income$560
    ZZZ1222Employment StatusPart Time
    ZZZ1222Education LevelHigh School
    ZZZ1222Family Size4
    ZZZ1223D.O.B23/12/1969
    ZZZ1223Ave Income$100
    ZZZ1223Employment StatusRetired
    ZZZ1223Education LevelPrimary
    ZZZ1223Family Size8

15 Replies
ngrunoz
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I have encountered another  challenge. My Transactional date string is picking a time stamp and I would like to strip the time from the Date As  I only want to use the Date. Should I do it after the generic Load or before and How best can I do it?

marcus_sommer

With date(floor(YourDateField)) you could cut the time-part respectively with time(frac(YourDateField)) the date-part and I think it will be more suitable to do it after the generic-statement within your final table.

- Marcus

ngrunoz
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you so much.

ngrunoz
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Marcus.

Is it possible to rename columns in the Generic Load Script. for Example changing Retailer to StoreType in the example.

marcus_sommer

I think yes but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to rename fields within the generic statement or the following join-loop. I believe it would be better to do this before or after the transforming, maybe a mapping-approach is here useful: How to Rename Fields.

- Marcus

ngrunoz
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

thank you so much.