Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Get simple month text (MMM) from date field

Hey guys. I have a date field that I'm trying to create a date dimension for. I want to have a month dimension that's just the first 3 letters of the month based on the full date. I tried using the Month function, and it only returns an integer, not the text. I also tried using Date(DateField, 'MMM'), but that created a ton of duplicate entries, where all I want is a simple 12 month list so I can pivot by month. Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Do you get the first 3 letters of the month when you do Date(Datefield,'MMM')?

Try doing text(date(Datefield,'MMM') as Month

Regards,

View solution in original post

9 Replies
sna
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

The reason you see duplicate numbers for one month is because you are just trying to foce it to display in MMM mode, but in the back end, it still recognizes as separate dates. You need to do something like...

Month(DateField) as Month

and make sure that your MonthNames variable set within the scripts contains the three letter acronyms. e.g.,

SET

MonthNames='Jan;Feb;Mar;Apr;May;Jun;Jul;Aug;Sep;Oct;Nov;Dec';

or try...

Date(Monthstart(Datefield), 'MMM') as Month

By doing this, you are forcing to get a single value for all dates within a month, and converting it to be displayed in a three letter month acronym.

I hope it works.
Shima

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply Shima, but neither solution seems to work. I have the MonthNames variable set as you said, but Month(DateField) as Month still returns 1-12.

Also, since the date field spans multiple years, MonthStart will return the beginning of the month, but on different years, so we still have the same issue with multiple values for each month.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Do you get the first 3 letters of the month when you do Date(Datefield,'MMM')?

Try doing text(date(Datefield,'MMM') as Month

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Ok almost there! 🙂

So "text(date(Datefield,'MMM') as Month" did give me the unique MMM values I wanted, but now I need to be able to sort them by month not alphabetically. Is there an easy way to convert this to a dual value or something?

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Try

DUAL(

text(date(DateField,'MMM')),

num(month(DateField))) AS Month,

And then sort Month as number

Not applicable
Author

You could also do

text(date(DateField,'MMM')) AS Month

in the script and then use

Max(DateField)

in an ascending expression sort on the month field above.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

text(date(Datefield,'MMM') as Month

works for me when I select Numeric for the chart sort. Have you selected Numeric sort?

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Ok I tried it again using "text(date(Datefield,'MMM') as Month" and this time it sorted correctly. Everything looks good! Thanks guys!!

johnreena
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I tried to use "text (history box, mmm") monthly "again", this time sorted correctly. Everything looks good. Thank you, my friend

BeeTV Apk

Movie Hd

MegaBox

Cinema HD