Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Grouping not filtering as expected

I have a table that I'm loading into my application telling me what fruit I have eaten on what day.

I'm then LOADing this table and counting up values using a GROUP BY clause with the first table RESIDENT.  This tells me how many days I'm having 1 piece of fruit, how many days I'm having 2 pieces, etc.

Finally, I have a graph over these counted values.

When I select some fields from my first table, to only include apples, my group by table doesn't re-run the count.  So I'm not really seeing what I want.  I want to see how many days I'm having 1 apple, how many days I'm having 2 apples, etc.  Other fruit should be ignored.

I suspect that there's a better way to do the counting (maybe in the expression or dimension of the graph) but can't figure it out.  "Fix your source data" isn't really a solution either, as I don't have control over this - the first table contains a lot more detail.

Any help would be appreciated.  I've attached a sample application.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Sorry, my mistake! In that case, you can create a calculated dimension, as follows:

aggr(

count(distinct ID)

,Day

)

and make your expression: count(distinct Day)

Regards,

Vlad

View solution in original post

7 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Your instincts are correct--there is a better way to do it, and that's to leverage the power of QlikView rather than taking everything to the script. Change your dimension to Day. Change your expression to: count(distinct ID)

Regards,

Vlad

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Vlad, but I'm afraid that's not quite right.  That shows me "on day 1 I had 3 pieces of fruit, on day 2 I had 1 piece of fruit...", but what I want is "There were 4 days where I had 1 piece of fruit, there was 1 day where I had 2 pieces of fruit..."

So I almost want one level above what you're saying - where I don't care what day I had 3 bits of fruit, but just how many days I hit that target.

Regards,

Richard

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Sorry, my mistake! In that case, you can create a calculated dimension, as follows:

aggr(

count(distinct ID)

,Day

)

and make your expression: count(distinct Day)

Regards,

Vlad

nilo_pontes
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi Richard,

Please take a look at the attached file.

Regards,

Nilo

Not applicable
Author

Hi Richard,

From what i understand You want to see how many fruits you have eaten on what day.

To be more precise, you might also want to see how many fruits of each kind you had per day..

Here is my solution:

i either count type of fruit per each day, or count basicly fruit per day and then use one of the results as your dimension... pls see the file and few proposals.

You can also use calculated dimension in the chart to get similar results .

If You need further help please provide for example a drawing how the final result should look like.

Regards

LM

Not applicable
Author

Excellent.  That's sorted now.  Thanks very much.

Now just need to figure out sorting the calculated dimension...

vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Sorting is simple enough is you want a basic low-to-high or high-to-low sort. Just go to the Sort tab.

Cheers,

Vlad