Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Help Understanding a expression

Hi All,

I am new to qlikview .I am loading month into ListBox. The months were not displaying in proper sequence so i did some googling and got the below expression,

=match([Month Name],'Jan','Feb','March')

The above expression work for me and months were displayed in Jan,Feb,March.... i.e. as expected.

When i tried to figure out what does the expression means, the function "Match" according to qlik.com returns  "returns the number of the expression that matches".

Now i am not able to figure our the logic, match returns a number of expression that matches but how could that sort my items in ListBox.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

So based on your dimension value, the number is assigned to it and that number is used to sort the list box.

=Match([Month Name], 'Jan', 'Feb', 'March')

will assign Jan = 1, Feb = 2, and March = 3 and this 1, 2, 3 are used to sort your list box based on ascending/descending order you choose.

Is this what you wanted to understand?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
sunny_talwar

So based on your dimension value, the number is assigned to it and that number is used to sort the list box.

=Match([Month Name], 'Jan', 'Feb', 'March')

will assign Jan = 1, Feb = 2, and March = 3 and this 1, 2, 3 are used to sort your list box based on ascending/descending order you choose.

Is this what you wanted to understand?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for the reply, it help me understood the expression. I have 1 more question. When i select the month from the ListBox , then again the month are distorted. I have attached the image for more better understanding of my problem.

MonthSeq1.pngMonthSeq2.png

sunny_talwar

This is what you need then

=Match(Only({1} [Month Name]), 'Jan', 'Feb', 'March')

The issue is that as soon as you select a particular month, the Month Name function only shows that particular month and then everything else become a 0. Adding {1} ignore any selection and your sort order stays intact.

HTH

Best,

Sunny