Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dyee4613
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hierarchy Mapping

Hello.  My company is planning on shifting it's reporting to QLIK and I'm trying to figure out the best way to utilize the P&L Visualization tool to recreate most of the financial reports.  I wanted to check with you guys regarding the best practice for leveraging this tool.  Please note - the financial rollups are not in our ERP so they will have to be recreated.  

Measure #1 - GL Mapping

The GL Mapping will just be a long series of IF statements outlining what accounts roll up into what bucket.  

Example: Depreciation is account 7000:7020 and NI is 3999 to 9999 so I'd write a formula like

If([GL] > 6999 and [GL] < 7021,'Depreciation',

If([GL] > 3998 and [GL] < 10000,'Net Income',

etc etc

This would be the first layer.  However, we have a lot of subheaders so I'd add in a second measure to add in the rollup accounts.

Measure #2 - GL Rollup

If([GL Mapping] = 'Net Income' or [GL Mapping] = 'Depreciation', 'Net Cash From Ops',

If([GL] > 6999 and [GL] < 7021,'Depreciation',

If([GL] > 3998 and [GL] < 10000,'Net Income',

etc..

This should get me all the accounts.  I will probably need a few more measures to order this.  

Measure #3 - Sum Logic

I would rewrite the last measure but this time I'm focusing on the SUM function, 

If([GL Rollup] = 'Net Cash From Ops', SUM(...)

This seems like it would work.  However, this doesn't seem like the best way to do this.  Additionally, I could see it being confusing to anyone not named me.  I wanted to check with you guys to see if you had any thoughts of a more efficient process.

Labels (1)
4 Replies
dyee4613
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Update - I created the calculated dimension.  I was planning on creating a measure using the calculated dimension and a set analysis.  However, I don't see the ability to reference my original calculated dimension.  

I think I was making this too complicated, though.  I'm going to upload a table with the fields I want in excel then I'll just create measure using set analysis or whatever it's called to create the line level logic.  

marcus_sommer

I suggest to create an appropriate dimension-table which includes all needed layer and intermediate states  and/or overlapping parts.

Such table might be created with n mappings and/or loops, like:

t: load * inline [
GL from, GL to, Desc
6999, 7021, Depreciation
7021, 9999, xyz
] while [GL from] + iterno() - 1 <= [GL to];

Even an Excel table with a lot of simple entries and copy & paste stuff would be possible and faster and more expedient as hard-coding all matching within n nested if-loops.

dyee4613
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I had the same idea and I think it's working.  Thank you @marcus_sommer.

I have two more questions:

Question #1: SOLVED

Question #2: 

How can I make the value field larger?  I have to hover over to see it.

dyee4613_0-1716999903337.png

Question #3: While doing my hierarchy, it's too difficult to write down each line of code.  I'm going to want to switch it to variables.  I tried to create a variable and input it into my set analysis but I failed.  Can someone help me out?  

I want to create a variable called vOutsideSales which represents the following set analysis code.

Sum({$< Object = {">=4020<=4025",">=4160<=4168",">=4320<=4321","4380","4436"},[BU Category Code 21 - Code]= {"2000"}>}[Trans Amount]),

Also, please tell me the syntax using the variable within the set analysis.  Is it 

Sum({$< vOutsideSales>}[Trans Amount])

?

marcus_sommer

Normally the objects are adjusting itself in regard to the available screen. Maybe any setting of this object is wrong. You may look through the settings or just creating a new one.

Your hierarchy isn't really suitable for a P&L, yet. The aim should be to avoid all hard-coded stuff within the script as well as within the UI which means that the UI expression just looked like: sum(FIELD) and all logic is transferred to the dimensional layers.