Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Hospital Census

Hi All,

I want to calculate hospital census and I have three objects (Arrival Date, Discharge Date, MRN).

I want to count every patients that is within a given time frame chosen by the user. I'm guessing that I will need a date selector (calendar)

Can anyone help?

4 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

You could create reference dates for each date in the interval of each patient's visit, then use this reference date field to use as dimension to count patients and to make selections in:

Creating Reference Dates for Intervals

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I agree with swuehl‌. One row per patient per day in the hospital, built using the linked approach.

I gather that MRN is the patient ID? Once you have the table built, the expression should be this simple.

count(distinct MRN)

The remaining question is how you want to select a time frame. I usually just use Date, Month, and Year fields. Things get more complicated if you want to make it easy for the user to select an arbitrary from and to date, and count all patients that were in the hospital at some point in that range. This is perhaps most typically done with two variables in two calendar objects, and either triggering the selection of dates in range of those variables, or using set analysis in the count expression. I just posted another option over here. I'm sure we can help you with whatever approach you decide to take if you can't figure it out from those hints.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you John. This helps a lot. I will try to work it out.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your quick responses. Very helpful.