Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Qlikview gets the data while re-opening an application?

Please help

Assume that I am using a QlikView desktop in my own PC and not using a QVD.

Lets say I created a simple QVW file(from a Data source) with one list box (with some country names) and a text box with an expression (Sum(sales) . With that work I have closed the document.

While re-opening the document, how the aggregation is done (in this case sum(sales) and the list box is populated?

I understand after re-opening the document, the data will be loaded in to the memory.

But how does qlikview gets the data while re-opening the document? Where the data will be stored when I close the document?

Thanks,

Karthick S

11 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The associative database is integrated in your QVW (=QVW file contains everything; UI, script, entire DB with all data, variables, metadata etc...). As long as you don't refresh your internal data by running the included load script, your document will always show/aggregate the included data. If your document has no load script (a document distributed by the Publisher for example), no updates are possible.

Peter.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Peter.

But I did not understand from your explanation. Could you please explain in detail?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

What part was it that you didn't understand?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

you mean to say each qlikview document has its own associative database and that database stores all the information such as script, UI and aggregated results?

what about a qilkview documet that uses QVD file as an input?

awhitfield
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

the QVD is simply a data source to load from, one it's reload the data is stored within the QVW.

Andy

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Example, if i use a qvd fiel as my input source then the data would be stored in the qvd file and while re-opening the document, the data from the qvd will  be loaded in to qlikview memory and i get the desired result.

Whereas if i am not using qvd file then from which location the data would get loaded in to the qlikview memory?

As you said, if there is an associative database, then how that works for a qvd input qvw file vs non qvd input qvw file?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Andy, you mean to say that if load millions of data in a qvw file, then that millions of data will reside within that qvw file?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes, each QVW incorporates its own associative database, and aside from this associative database, a QVW also may or may not include a reload script and a user interface. But those two are not always included. For example, a document that is pushed to the AccessPoint by the full Publisher has no script, and a QVD generator document has no user interface because it doesn't need one.

Even worsev : an associative database doesn't exist outside of a QVW document. But that's not a problem at all!

Best,

Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Please do not reply to yourself. Reply to the person that you are talking to or nobody will know for sure who you're expecting a reply from.

As Andrew already explained, a QVD is a QlikView Data File that contains a single data table and nothing else.

A QVW document is also a single file but it contains an associative database (often referred to "a data model") and much, much more. A QVW document needs to contain some script code for the data to get refreshed. That script code (which may refer to other external script files if you wish) will get executed during every reload. The script code or the user interface or the macros you decide to write to do nifty things are NOT stored in the associative database, but right next to it in the QVW.

Peter