Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How add dummy value as grouping to Dimension

Hi all, hoping someone can suggest an approach for this. As a simple example what would be the best practice to group a specific set  of dimension values and treat them as just another dimension, i.e. all Big companies grouped under single dimension record.

I also have a complication in that I need to show the Company Dimension across the top and the measures in rows (previous post for this: Sum of Columns in Pivot table)

Pivot_Group.PNG

Many thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
maxgro
MVP
MVP

you can use company group as dimension when you need the extra group (Big Company, Small Company)

1.png

or Company as dimension  for "standard" companies

1.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies
sunny_talwar

Do you have a sample you can share?

Not applicable
Author

Sure, here you go...

sunny_talwar

Are you looking to see something like this?

Capture.PNG

I used a calculated dimension instead of Company -> =Left(Company, Index(Company, ' ', 2))

or are you looking to see them separately and then grouped?

Not applicable
Author

Hi, ideally I need to see them in the same chart, and the names are simply the actual names of companies so can't use Left(Company, Index(Company, ' ', 2)) but hard coding the names of the group is ok if that helps as the names defined in the group shouldn't change.

maxgro
MVP
MVP

T1:

Load * inline [

Company,No of Bike Sale, No of Car Sale

Big Company A,5,20

Big Company B,24,3

Small Company C,8,2

Small Company D,15,1

];

T11:

load Company as CompanyGroup, Company Resident T1;

load left(Company, index(Company, 'Company') +len('Company')) as CompanyGroup, Company Resident T1;

Not applicable
Author

Hi, thanks for this, although this relies on Company being in the name I can probably get round that by prefixing the actual company names with something however  how would I go about showing all the individual companies along with the groupings in the same chart or would I need to create two separate charts and try aligning them together? also what if I only want to show Big Company as an extra grouping?

Many Thanks!

maxgro
MVP
MVP

you can use company group as dimension when you need the extra group (Big Company, Small Company)

1.png

or Company as dimension  for "standard" companies

1.png

Not applicable
Author

Good point, many thanks will give it a try!!!