Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
300sss300
Creator
Creator

How to Assign selection value to button

Hi!

I have 11 different area names under the field "AREA", Now instead of adding each region (eastern, western...) against each area name I want to add 04 buttons "Eastern", "Western", "Southern" & Northern". what I need is that when eastern button is clicked it should select only those areas assigned to eastern region in button settings. 

I have already created 4 buttons just need to learn the coding (if any) in Actions Section of Button Properties  for the required output.

OR IF THERE IS ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE 

Regards,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nwest1965
Contributor III
Contributor III

I'm going to take a guess at what you want to achieve.

Assume you want the following:

Western - AreaWest1;  AreaWest2;  AreaWest3

Eastern - East1; East2; East3; East4

South - SouthernA, SouthernB

North - NorthernArea1, NorthernArea2

Now, in your button (or text object) you create your title for Eastern and then you go to the Actions tab and add an Action for Select in Field (it's actually the first action available) you put in your field name which is AREA and then you add in the following into the Search String position:

(East1|East2|East3|East4)

That's it, that's all you need.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I am not sure what you are asking. The field name is the field where you need to make the selection and the search string is the selection itself, for example "Eastern" (without the quotes).

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
nilaksh92
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Can you please elaborate your problem and please share sample data.

Thanks 

Nilaksh Mahajan

nwest1965
Contributor III
Contributor III

I'm going to take a guess at what you want to achieve.

Assume you want the following:

Western - AreaWest1;  AreaWest2;  AreaWest3

Eastern - East1; East2; East3; East4

South - SouthernA, SouthernB

North - NorthernArea1, NorthernArea2

Now, in your button (or text object) you create your title for Eastern and then you go to the Actions tab and add an Action for Select in Field (it's actually the first action available) you put in your field name which is AREA and then you add in the following into the Search String position:

(East1|East2|East3|East4)

That's it, that's all you need.

300sss300
Creator
Creator
Author

Please see attached file. These Areas fall into 04 regions. Instead of adding another field "Region" having values "Eastern, Western, S N...) and assigning to each 'AREA' Field I want to have 04 buttons with names "Eastern, Western, S N...)" For example when Eastern is clicked it should show me data only related to Eastern Region. Just wanna learn how to assign values in action to these buttons instead of manually adding Region values to a large excel file.

Thanks