Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martin_hamilton
Creator
Creator

How to convert DB2 date format of CYYMMDD to DD/MM/YYYY on load

Hi I am connecting to a DB2 using SQL and the dates are being returned in the format CYYMMDD and I wish to convert to DD/MM/YY.

Is there a standard to do this?

Thanks

Martin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

With the function below you control the date format through the format variable DateFormat.

Date(Date#(Right(DateField, 6), 'YYMMDD'))

View solution in original post

11 Replies
martin_hamilton
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi

The data in its raw format is:

DateField

I am assuming I would drop off the leading character and then transform the date. But wasnt sure if that was possible in a single load script?

Thanks

Martin

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

With the function below you control the date format through the format variable DateFormat.

vcanale
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi,

Try:
Date(Right(DateField, 6), 'DD/MM/YYYY')

martin_hamilton
Creator
Creator
Author

That didnt quite work but i have done some research on SQL and managed to convert the field into a string format of DD/MM/YYYY using the below:

substr(cast([FIELD]as char (7)), 6, 2)|| '/' || substr(cast([FIELD]as char (7)), 4, 2)|| '/20' || substr(cast([FIELD]as char (7)), 2, 2) as newdate

I have tried to then reformat the field to a date type column but am struggling with that.

Thanks

Martin

vcanale
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

or better:
date(date#(right(DateField,6),'YYMMDD'),'DD/MM/YYYY')

vcanale
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

testing
=date(date#(right('1160101',6),'YYMMDD'),'DD/MM/YYYY')

in a Text Obj, it looks fine..
just use the FieldName instead of '1160101' in the Load

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

I should work. Did you set the DateFormat variable to your expected output format in the beginning of the script?

SET DateFormat = 'DD/MM/YYYY';

I would think your SQL solution looks more complex than it would in QlikView, but any solution that works is a feasible solution. If you want to resolve this in QlikView, I would suggest that you break the expression down to see where the conversions fails for you.

Right(DateField, 6) is expected to return the six most right characters from DateField.

The 6 chars string is the input to the Date#() function, which returns a value that looks like YYMMDDut will have the date integer value. Date() takes the integer as in out and formats the text to format defined in DateFormat.

If the loaded value form data base actually is a number, then this will fails. Most often it will then be enough to just format form number to date.

Date(DateField)

martin_hamilton
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Vincenza

This is just returning blanks when included in the load