Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to do cascading Replace in a set expression

I have a set expression that creates a union of two states.  The expression must also cover the situation where the data contains a space, a left parentheses, and a right parenthesis.  I can make the expression work with a space, but am having trouble extending it. 

Below is an example of what is working:

Replace('(' & Concat({$ + S4} Product, '|') & ')','  ','?')

In this case, I am creating a successful union between the default state, and S4, and inserting a pipe character between the entries.  I am also replacing any spaces that are found with a question mark.  Altogether, this expression takes selections made in one state (S4), and adds them to selections already in place in another state ($).  This works perfectly.

My data also contains a right and left parenthesis.  When I try to extend this expression, I am entering:

Replace(Replace(Replace('(' & Concat({$ + S4} Product, '|') & ')','  ','?'),'(','?'),')','?')

The syntax editor indicates the expression is OK, but it does not work.  Specifically, it no longer moves selections between the states.

As a debugging step, I've tried putting the below example into a text box.  It works perfectly.

Replace(Replace(Replace(Product,' ','?'),'(','?'),')','?')

When I do this, I get the product names, with spaces and parenthesis replaced by question marks.

Anybody have any ideas why the middle example does not work?

gary

10 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

One more update to add... removed the wildcard and now it works 'as is' with spaces and parentheses

The trick is to build the search string with double quotes around the values (NOT single quotes like i originally mentioned above)

IE:  ("Asia","North America","All()")