cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to fetch an external variable

Hi All,

I'm wondering how to set a variable from document A to document B ?!!

any help w'll be welcome

8 Replies
jeffmartins
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Nassim Kasdali,

You can store the variable value in a qvd file on the first app and then load the qvd file and recreate the variable on the second app.

See the attached files, hope it helps you. 

Regards

thomas_skariah
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Nassim,

Another option is you can set the variable condition in the load script itself,and then copy and paste the script from first application to second application.

Regards,

Tom

nstefaniuk
Creator III
Creator III

Hi.

store value in table and use binary at start of Document B. Variables are not available through binary.

But the best is to use QVD as advised by jeffmartins

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your help, but itsn't what i'm looking for, your solution can work only before a refresh.

i have to do this stuff after the refresh.

nstefaniuk
Creator III
Creator III

Can you please clarify more, I don't understand what do you mean. You want to set a variable in a document A in user mode (for example through an input box) and that a document B, without refresh, can read content of this variable ?

If youy can open B from A, you can pass a parameter when opening B from A.

Are you in desktop or server version ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

what i'm trying to do is :

i've two repports.

when the user uses the document "A" and see that the numbers are good it passes a variable from 0 to 1.
when the document refresh "B" and is to be executed under the variable is a 1 he launched the refresh if it is a 0 it does not refresh.

hope this is clear.

nstefaniuk
Creator III
Creator III

Ok, it's very hard.

As far as I know there is no clean solution to pass information from Qlikview application on server to the server. But you could find workarounds:

You could use a URL that calls a webservice to log somewhere (textfile, database) that "it's ok"

You could generate a file on server side using a macro (but you have to break a lot of security to do that)

You could use the bookmarks to store information on server and parse the .SHARED file to find the information (but it is crypted)

You could refresh the document B from document A using macro and SDK on publisher

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

you're right .

i'm gonna give up for this solution.

Thanks Fellas.