Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to fetch data from database based on condition specified in Qlikview ?

I am working on getting data in Qlikview from database with large amounts of data. For different dates and some other parameters a lot of data is fetched. If my understanding is correct - for Qlikview to have say a multibox where I can specify the date (along with other parameters) to show relevant data, data for all the dates should already be loaded in memory. 

However, for my use case this can be a lot and getting data for all the dates may not be practical. Wondering if Qlikview provides some way to handle this efficiently ?

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try Direct Discovery: QlikView 11.2 and Direct Discovery

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

With Inputfields that control the content of variables which then (using $-sign substitution) can be used in SELECT statement WHERE clauses, you can reduce the amount of data being prepared by your DBMS and transferred to QlikView.

Let's say that in your document you create a sort of control panel that sets conditions for a reload. I hope you plan to do this in QV Desktop only, because the publisher doesn't allow AP visitors to reload a document in this way without some serious magic...

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gysbert. Per the documentation for direct discovery, version 11.2 is limited to one direct discovery query per Qlikview application.  "This version of direct discovery only supports one direct discovery per QlikView application"

I need to do this for multiple queries in my qlikview application. Wondering if you know of any workaround, or it's not possible currently in Qlikview ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I would load all the data into qvd files using incremental loads.

Then for a standard dashboard qvw only load say the last couple years of data from the qvd's, with a Where Exists() this load from qvd can still be optimized.  This would result in all the data for the last couple years being loaded into RAM, but that is the way QlikView works and makes for very fast dashboard response and is in my view one of the strengths of QlikView.

You would need sufficient RAM on your QlikView server, but RAM is fairly cheap nowadays - and RAM costs would be a tiny fraction of the overall cost of a QlikView implementation.  Indeed sorting workarounds could well cost a lot more than the required RAM would cost, as well as giving poor [maybe even unacceptable] dashboard response.