Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to get name in right order

Hi all,

I have a field called NameVZ which looks like this :    F.M.J. Hof van den

where F.M.J. are the initials, Hof is the surname and "van den" the preposition.

I'd like to create two fields out of this. One with the Initials which is easy ->  SubField(NameVZ, ' ',1) as Initials

The other field should have preposition + Surname in one:    "van den Hof"

But how do I do that as the propostion can be different for each name?

So to be clearer:

Field NameVZ   (examples)

F.M.J. Hof van den

T. Johnson

S. Haaren van

B. Beuker de

should become

Field FullnameVZ

van den Hof

Johnson

van Haaren

de Beuker

Preposition before the surname

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Thx Michael,

Your suggestion helped me on the right track.

This is what I've used now:

If(len(Trim(TextBetween(TextBetween(NaamVZ, ' ',''),' ','')))= 0, SubField(NaamVZ, ' ', 2), TextBetween(TextBetween(NaamVZ, ' ',''),' ','') & ' ' & SubField(NaamVZ, ' ', 2)) as AchternaamVZ

It's not 100% waterproof (e.g. da Silva de Jesus - >  Silva de Jesus Da) but it will do.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

There are many ways.  Try this for example

=textbetween(NameVZ, ' ', '')

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You could do a right() on the name, using the width of the intials that you've already detected.

Something like this:

right(NameVZ,Len(NameVZ)-SubField(NameVZ, ' ',1))

Jonathan

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonathan,

Don't think that works as this gives me "Hof van den"  as where I would like to have "van den Hof"

Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael,

Can you clarify this a bit, as I don't understand how this works in my situation.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The textbetween(text, s1,s2) returns substring of the "text" field value between text s1 and text s2.  In your situation, I used s1 = ' ' (one space), and s2='' (nothing).  So, the result wil be from the character after the first space and to the end.

Regards,

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Another option is to use mid():

=mid(NameVZ, index(NameVZ, ' ')+1)

Here I calculate the position of the 1st space, add 1 to get to the position of the first character after space, and use mid() to cut from that position to the end.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sounds like you want to set up a specific processing rule should you find the existence of "van den", and that this is at the very end of the string.

In that case, something like this may do it:

SET EndName = textbetween(NameVZ, ' ', '');

if(Lower(Right(NameVZ,7)='van den',

'Van den' & textbetween(EndName, ' ', ''),

textbetween(NameVZ, ' ', '')

)

I think I prefer Michael's texttbetween() function to the right(), mid() etc string chopping functions. Guess it's the thing I've learnt from the forum today.

Jonathan

CELAMBARASAN
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi,

You can make use of it

LOAD *, Trim(Mid(Trim(Mid(Text, Len(Initial)+1)), Index(Trim(Mid(Text, Len(Initial)+1)), ' ')) & ' ' & SubField(Trim(Mid(Text, Len(Initial)+1)),' ', 1)) AS Name;

LOAD *, Left(Text, index(Text, '.', -1)) AS Initial  Inline [

Text

F.M.J. Hof van den

G.N.K. Ipg wbo efo

H.O.L. mqh xap fgp];

Not applicable
Author

No, "van den" is just a possibility. In other names it can be blank or have other options like "van" "van de" "de" "den" etc..

So searching on text is no option.