Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgkrsk
Contributor
Contributor

How to get subscripts from an Excel column to appear in QlikView?

Hi,

I have an Excel with some chemical elements and their values, but when I load that in edit script all the subscripts of the elements gets converted to normal strings (like NO_2 -> NO2), how could I preserve the subscripts from that Excel to appear in QlikView as well? I know I can use ASCII to use subscripts but I can't use it when showing the columns in tables etc.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PiEye
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi

I tried replying earlier, but it seems my response didn't save for some reason.

Essentially Excel is using formatting to define the subscripts, and not the actual ascii . UTF character.

In this case, we have a few options:

1 - ensure that you use the actual character and not formatting in excel, to apply the subscript

2 - create some sort of lookup table in excel

or 

3 - create a mapping table to convert all numbers and apply this using mapsubstring:

MapSubScript:
MAPPING LOAD * INLINE [
InputNumber,OutputSubscript
1,₁
2,₂
3,₃
4,₄
5,₅
6,₆
7,₇
8,₈
9,₉
0,₀
];

LOAD
subs,
MapSubString('MapSubScript', subs) as MappedSubScript
FROM [$(vFile)] (ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

In the above example I have loaded a table from excel with both a formatted subscript (X3 Y4) and a "character subscript" (X2) and applied the mapping. This is the result. as you can see the character subscript ingests fine, but qlik wont apply the formatting from excel

PiEye_0-1626437344617.png

Hope this helps

Pi

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PiEye
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Pgkrsk

I've just tried to replicate this, and while I am able to generate subscripts typing directly in Qlik, it seems that they do not import correctly in excel.

I know in Excel you can create the subscript by applying formatting, which makes me wonder if excel saves the formatting, rather than the unicode symbol.

Writing the subscript using an actual character seems to solve the problem - below is an example loaded into qlik - "X2" is using the actual character. "X3 Y4" were created using excel formatting which confirms my suspicion!

PiEye_0-1626425945842.png

So you now have 3 options - either use the correct character in your excel input, use a lookup table to match the symbols to the correct representation or you can use a Qlik mapping function to convert all numbers to subscript:

MapSubScript:
MAPPING LOAD * INLINE [
1,₁
2,₂
3,₃
4,₄
5,₅
6,₆
7,₇
8,₈
9,₉
0,₀
];

LOAD
subs,

Here I've used MapSubString to pick out any numbers and replace them with their subscript equivalents.

This is the result:

PiEye_1-1626426143621.png

HTH

Pi

marcus_sommer

What happens if you use: text(MyField) as myField

- Marcus

PiEye
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi

I tried replying earlier, but it seems my response didn't save for some reason.

Essentially Excel is using formatting to define the subscripts, and not the actual ascii . UTF character.

In this case, we have a few options:

1 - ensure that you use the actual character and not formatting in excel, to apply the subscript

2 - create some sort of lookup table in excel

or 

3 - create a mapping table to convert all numbers and apply this using mapsubstring:

MapSubScript:
MAPPING LOAD * INLINE [
1,₁
2,₂
3,₃
4,₄
5,₅
6,₆
7,₇
8,₈
9,₉
0,₀
];

LOAD
subs,

In the above example I have loaded a table from excel with both a formatted subscript (X3 Y4) and a "character subscript" (X2) and applied the mapping. This is the result. as you can see the character subscript ingests fine, but qlik wont apply the formatting from excel

PiEye_0-1626437344617.png

Hope this helps

Pi