Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apoorvasd
Creator II
Creator II

How to load top 454 rows from excel in QlikView?

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to load only top 454 rows from excel sheet and I used the code as below

TableName:

First 454

Load *...

but seems like the code is not working. Because when I call the field "Product", it has data in it from row 465 as shown in the screenshot and I have limited the data to be loaded only until row 454.

Excel Data.PNG

Product.PNG

Any idea what I can try or check to load only top 454 rows?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

When QlikView read an Excel sheet it will not read empty rows. So what you consider row 454 when you look at the data in Excel is really a much lower row number since there are so many blank lines in your Excel sheet.

You will have to find the number of non-blank lines in your Excel and use that number instead. You can do that easily in Excel by using the formula =COUNTA(D5:D454) function to count the number of non-empty cells in your range.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

When QlikView read an Excel sheet it will not read empty rows. So what you consider row 454 when you look at the data in Excel is really a much lower row number since there are so many blank lines in your Excel sheet.

You will have to find the number of non-blank lines in your Excel and use that number instead. You can do that easily in Excel by using the formula =COUNTA(D5:D454) function to count the number of non-empty cells in your range.

gerry_hdm
Creator II
Creator II

can you the function  Rank() ?

apoorvasd
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hmm...okay got it!

The empty rows will be filled later, but the total number of rows will not exceed more than 454. So is there a way where I can code it in such a way that even blank rows have to be counted and load data until row 454?

Thank you.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Are you able to change something in the spreadsheet - add column or cell values - or is that fixed?

If you are able to get the spreadsheet changed you just have to fill in an extra column that has a value for all the rows.

apoorvasd
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Peter,

For now number of non empty rows may be say, 100. But later when data is entered in the excel sheet the number of non empty rows will increase. So I cannot say what will be the exact number of non empty rows! And I am loading multiple tabs in the excel sheet with same number of rows.

Just a quick question, is it okay if just one column has data for all rows (in all 454 rows)? Can I apply condition on that to get total number of rows to be loaded?

Thank you.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Just add a hidden column called ProductRow and fill all the ProductRow cells with a period in each of the sheets in the workbook.

Then you can have a simple script like this:

LOAD

Product,

FROM

[ProductData.xlsx] (ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1)

WHERE

ProductRow = '.' AND Not(IsNull(Product)) AND Len(Trim(Product))>0;

apoorvasd
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Petter,

Thanks a lot for your response.

As you mentioned in your first response, I counted non-empty rows based on a column which had entries in all the rows. So, the actual count reduced to 450 from 454. Now the code works and I'm getting desired output.

Thanks again

apoorvasd
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Gerold,

Thanks for your response too!