Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michele_nesci
Contributor II
Contributor II

How to make a transformation after CrossTable?

I happily found CrossTable in Qlik Sense and used it to straighten a dataset containing answers to a survey.

There are several instances of dirty data in the set, which I'd want to clean up after CrossTable did its magic. They include mappings, if statements and the like. I couldn't find a way to do so.

In theory, I could repeat all my cleaning on every column, but they are many (about a hundred) and I'll have to do this seven more times for more surveys, with even more to come. Copying all the cleaning code hundreds of times sounds like it is a nightmare, especially if I need to change it somehow later.

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

How does your table look like after the crosstable and which kind of data should be cleaned/replaced with what? Usually a few statements mostly mappings should be sufficient to correct your data.

- Marcus

michele_nesci
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you for the reply. I have no problem with writing the statements as is. Mostly I have to trim text and convert numeric results to numbers. The problem is that I see no place to plug a formula.

michele_nesci
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I have found a workaround: load the cross table as is, then use it to generate a new table with all modifications and finally drop the first one. A minimal example:

[Survey_raw]:

LOAD

CrossTable(Question,Answer_raw)

FROM [lib://results/survey.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is answers);

[Survey]

Load *,

Num#(Answer_raw) as Answer

Resident [Survey_raw];

Drop Table Survey_raw;

Is there a better way? Having to drop the table is a bit of a code smell.

stigchel
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

It is not unusual to load the raw data first and then your cleaned data in a new table, especially if you don't need to keep your 'dirty' data. In your small example you do however with the load *, resident. raw. So don't use load * for your resident load. Alternatively you can use something like the below without having to drop a table

CrossTable(QID, Answer,7) Load*,if(Q8>0,Q64) as Q64_new

,if(Q8>0 and Q64=1,if(Q8=1 and Q64=1,1,2)) as Q8_Q64

;

Load *

FROM [lib://results/survey.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is answers);