Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apoorvasd
Creator II
Creator II

How to pull data from multiple excel files from SharePoint document library using loops

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to pull data from excel files which are stored in SharePoint document library. There are multiple excel files in this site and I would want to pull data from all these files at one go. How can I do this?

SPDocLib.PNG

Thought of using a for loop and a variable which holds the text that is after "Cost Breakdown". But there will be more files added to this library and I can't predict what could be the date in the date part of the file name. Hence not sure how to pull data from these files.

Any help on this?

Thank you.

3 Replies
niclaz79
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

I normally use the following way of looping a Sharepoint-folder for specific files. Obviously you will need to replace parts of it to fit your specific excel files.

tempFileList:

LOAD

PurgeChar(trim([Name  ]), chr(160)) as rawFileName,

right(purgeChar(trim([Name  ]), chr(160)),8) as sortOrder

FROM

[$(DataFolder)]

(html, unicode, embedded labels, table is @5);

Filelist:

LOAD

concat(chr(39) & rawFileName & chr(39), ',', -sortOrder) as Filename

Resident tempFileList

where rawFileName = Condition;

Drop table tempFileList;

LET vFileList = peek('Filename',-1);

Drop table Filelist;

for each vFile in $(vFileList)

LET vFileFormatted = Replace('$(vFile)', ' ', '%20');

LET vTmpFileName = '[$(vDataFolder)$(vFileFormatted)' & '.xlsm] (ooxml, embedded labels, header is 1 lines, table is [TabName])';

Temp:

LOAD

FileName() as FileName,

FROM

$(vTmpFileName);

apoorvasd
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Niclas,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have couple of questions as mentioned in the comments below.

tempFileList:

LOAD

PurgeChar(trim([Name  ]), chr(160)) as rawFileName,             //"Name" -  does it mean name of the file?

right(purgeChar(trim([Name  ]), chr(160)),8) as sortOrder

FROM

[$(DataFolder)]                                                                  //How do I get the link to a SharePoint folder?

(html, unicode, embedded labels, table is @5);                          

Thank you.

apoorvasd
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Niclas,

Did you get a chance to look into my questions?