Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to refer to a set of objects (filters) across multiple tab pages?

I am not an expert but my visualization requirement is to avoid consuming real estate with filters. I wish to have a set of filters pop-up upon clicking the icon. This action, I wish to replicate uniformly across multiple tab pages for consistency.

I am using a common filter icon across multiple tab pages. On clicking the icon, I would like to display a set of objects that include a semi-transparent background text box and a set of list boxes referring various dimensions to be used as filters.

Couple of questions for which I need your help:

1. I guess, we may need to clone these objects on all tab pages and associate each set of objects with the filter icon on the page. Is there a better and efficient way to achieve this?
  2. Is it possible to group a set of objects for easy management of the filters across multiple tab pages?
  3. How can use only one set of objects and still be able to display them on multiple tab page without replicating the objects?

Filter View.PNG

Feel free to request additional information for better visualization of my requirement.

5 Replies
marcus_sommer

You could use linked-objects. You have to create your various objects one time which include the visibilty-condition per variable and then you could copy all these objects per lasso-selection and paste it in every sheet with a right-click and then you choose as linked objects.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

the other advantage of linked objects is if criteria on the object changes it will upadted all of the linked objects (chnaging positions of the linked objects does not affect all objects

Not applicable
Author

Marcus & Adams,

Thanks. Yes that is one of the options, I was aware of. My idea was to minimize objects and possibly use a method like a pop-up dialog box with filter values to ensure minimal objects for a document. Also, when you move objects they do not realign on all linked ones. Introducing a new filter object to the group would amount to deleting earlier objects and creating a new set of objects and that could be quite an exercise.

marcus_sommer

You could of course build such constructs more flexible if you put some empty place-holder objects within them and queries on further variables and getactivesheetid() which objects with witch content should be displayed.

But honestly I don't recommend such approach to implement a complete own logic to show objects and navigate the user through them. It needs a lot of efforts to create and maintain them especially over different applications without failures and confusing by the users. Then you need to make sure that the user understands what's happening and why.

I have done it before switching between different sheets and objects which was chained with other objects (data-tables, listboxes, outsourced legends) with a lot of variables and triggers and can't see any added value against the native inbuilt functionalities from qv - it was only hard work with a higher amount of support as normal.

With a own logic you made only from a quite simple way to build reports and navigate between them a complicated one - far away from keep it simple.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Thanks. I was aware of the suggested options. However, wanted to explore any alternatives if available. I have implemented as suggested by Marcus and it does meet my business user needs. Cheers!!!