Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to subtract subtotal(s) from Grand Total in PivotTable?

I have a pivot table with three Dimensions, (Country, State, City).  Thus there are three levels of Dimensionality (0=Grand Total, 1=Country Total, and 2=State Total.  Here’s my problem….for one particular city, when that value is greater than “n” I want that state’s subtotal to be 0, thus I want the higher subtotals (Dimensionality 1 and 0) to NOT include the value for the corresponding State.

The formula I am currently using that gives totals/subtotals for ALL cities/states is:  sum(aggr($(vExp_TrueUp),Country, State, City)).  I’ve tried numerous formulas and have searched the forums tirelessly.  Can you help me with a solution?

Thanks, Dan

8 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Please post your app showing clearly what you want to achieve.

Not applicable
Author

Does this help?

SPX Sample.png

Not applicable
Author

Does this help?

SPX Sample.png

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Very difficult to follow this kind of request without a sample app.  You will often find you get better help if you take the time to build one.

However - have you tried a simple IF statement?

IF(Dimensionality()<2,0,sum(aggr($(vExp_TrueUp),Country, State, City)))

Jason

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the suggestion, Jason.  I may just have to build a sample app, though it may take some time. 

I have used that exact formula for Dimensionality()=2 - and it works...however, by taking this actual subtotal, say it's 100, and changing it to 0, I now have to figure out a way to subtract 100 from Dimensionality()=1 and Dimensionality()=0. 

For example, in the image I posted above, I'm forcing the US subtotal of $112,830 to $0, but to make sense to the users, this $112,830 needs to be subtracted from Company A subtotal ($157,023) and from the Grand Total ($157,023).

I'm thinking the solution may be some "If" statements within the AGGR function/formula posted above. 

Thanks again for taking a look.

Not applicable
Author

I tried to mock-up a sample app with which to try and solve this problem (see attached).  I'm trying to aggregate a Variable, then customize the 3 Dimensionalities.        Thanks.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi mate,

Sorry - I've been really busy lately.  I'll try and take a look at this tonight or tomorrow for you.

Jason

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hiya,

I have had another go at this tonight.  I have a solution using a straight table but not a pivot.  Was edging closer to a pivot solution (I think) but it's late now!

In a straight table you can use "Sum of Rows" as an option for the expressions...see attached.

Hope it helps,

Jason