Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to view existing 'Script'

After a lot of time, I worked out, that when 'opening a document in server' on QlikView designer, important menu options like 'Edit Script' are missing. So I copied my .qvw locally (and a whole bunch of other files).

Now, at least the 'Edit Script' option is in the file menu.

However, it's functionality seems to allow you to 'create a new script' i.e. it's all about setting up a connection, etc.

What I want to do is to 'edit the existing' script. For instance, it seems likely (as the report is working) that it connects to a database. I need to be able to view/edit that existing connection - for example, by viewing what username and password are being used, what specific database is being used on what server, what exactly is selected, etc.

I don't want to create a new 'Script' which is what the button seems to do?

I'm not sure how else I can view this? Perhaps the connection is to do with one of the other files. There extensions are below:

qvw.Fields.tab, qvw.Mappings.tab, qvw.Tables.tab, .qvw.Meta, .QVW.Shared, .qvw.Meta,  .QVW.Shared

All of them are prefixed with the report name. I'm sorry if the question is too basic, it seems like the most important thing to be able to do with a report..but I can't see any feasible way of doing it..Surely I don't have to create a new connection to view the existing one?

3 Replies
Colin-Albert

You would need to speak to your dba to get the password to access the database.

The password is encrypted within the QlikView script.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Those .tab files you mentioned are "structure" files that are generated by pressing the Document Properties > Tables > Export Structure. They don't have anything to do with the script.

If you have the QVW, you should be able to edit the existing script by opening the Script Editor (Ctrl-e). If you copied the script from the server distribution folder or used the Download option from Access Point, the script may have been erased for security reasons. In that case, contact your QV Admin to get access to the source qvw.

As Colin mentioned, seeing the script probably will not give you the database password,

-Rob

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

On a side note: opening a document using "Open in server" will make QV Desktop act like a regular QlikView client and not as the design tool you're probably used to, or a remote QVW editor which you might expect it to be but which unfortunately doesn't exist (yet).

A QV Dekstop-running-as-client will do what all other clients (Ajax, IE with plugin) will/can do and nothing more. No script editing, no reloading, no viewing data models etc.

Peter