Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ari_c95
Contributor
Contributor

Ignore dimension but not selection issue in Straight Table Qlikview

Hi All, 

I have a Straight table with multiple dimensions in Qlikview. The dimension most relevant here is the Month. Essentially, for each month (and the other dimension, named DIM below), I have a Sales value. What I need to do is calculate a new value summing each dimension value's Sales for the current month and the previous month. So it should look something like this. 

Month

DIM

Sales Value

Calculated Value

December

A

400 (100+300)

December

B

600 (200+400)

November

A

800 (300+500)

November

B

1000 (400+600)

October

A

1200 (500+700)

October

B

1400 (600+800)

September

A

(blank – no prev month)

September

B

(blank – no prev month)

The main problem I can't figure out a way around is that this Straight table will be affected by a Month Selection filter, where if you select October, the table should only show the 2 October rows. However, the calculation must still fetch the September values from the model and get you the added value. 

Any idea how I could progress with this? I've tried my hand at using TOTAL and Set Expressions, but to no avail. 

Any help would be highly appreciated. 

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

The best alternative would be to use The As-Of Table 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
sunny_talwar

Have you tried this

=Aggr(If(RowNo() > 1, RangeSum(Above(Sum(Sales), 0, 2))), DIM, (Month, (NUMERIC)))

ari_c95
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi Sunny, couple of things to note here.

1. Using Above requires that the previous month row is also present in the table. For example, if we use above for December, the row for November needs to be present. That is not the requirement here, only the December row must be shown and yet fetch the data for November. 

2. The number of dimensions used with the Month is dynamic (here I've only shown 1 - Dim). But the number of these dimensions can range anywhere between 0 to 15 (depending on a filter selection). 

Hence, does not seem like your solution will work. Any other alternatives you can think of?

lanlizgu
Creator III
Creator III

First of all, you would need to use also the year so you could have the date (you are not able to convert a month into date if you don't have the year you are refering to). Once you have this information you are able to select the previous month with addmonths expression.

sunny_talwar

The best alternative would be to use The As-Of Table 

ari_c95
Contributor
Contributor
Author

The Month column is already a date table. The problem with this is that a dimension context is being applied according to the rows and the set expression (which contains a reference to the previous month) is not working properly. 

ari_c95
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Yes this looks like something that might work. Thanks, I will try this out. 

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Ari, be sure to circle back to the post and use the Accept as Solution button on the post(s) that actually helped you resolve your question.  I would have done it for you, but I was not sure which of the posts actually helped given the sequence of things.  This gives credit to the posters and lets other Community Members know which thing(s) actually helped.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.